Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Voltage Multiplier  Capacitors
Voltage Multiplier  Capacitors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2019, 12:23 AM   #21
ejp is offline ejp  Australia
diyAudio Member

You could at least answer the questions you were asked here.
Old 17th October 2019, 12:35 AM   #22
cautious1 is offline cautious1
diyAudio Member

EJP...Thats exactly what i was wondering about. Do the last two capacitors EACH cop 505 volts ? From what you said i should measure voltage at start up on each cap individually to know the answer .
The last two caps in my circuit are 450volt rated.

As to the Cathode biased idea i believe the 6cm5's can handle a lot more than 10 watts diss. Some say they wont red plate till about 25 watts diss. I don't know what maximum plate voltage they can handle. So what cathode current and plate voltage in a cathode biased situation to aim for i simply dont know.
Old 18th October 2019, 05:43 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

That's exactly what *we* were wondering about. I asked a clear question. Only you can answer it. I don't know what exactly you mean by 'last two capacitors' or even '505 volts' at the moment, as you haven't stated where it was measured or what it was referenced to, or whether you are including the capacitors for HT2/3, but none of the capacitors in the schematic has the full HT1 rail voltage across it.
Old 21st October 2019, 10:39 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Sorry EJP i thought my question was clear enough. By the last two capacitors i meant the very last two in the 6 times multiplier C3 and C6 , which on the circuit are marked as 250volt types. The ac supply is 55vac. The B+ is at The C3 + (also marked as HT1).
I was curious about the voltage rating when i saw 505 volts dc at the B+ Hence the question.
Old 21st October 2019, 11:18 AM   #25
cnpope is offline cnpope  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautious1 View Post
Sorry EJP i thought my question was clear enough. By the last two capacitors i meant the very last two in the 6 times multiplier C3 and C6 , which on the circuit are marked as 250volt types. The ac supply is 55vac. The B+ is at The C3 + (also marked as HT1).
I was curious about the voltage rating when i saw 505 volts dc at the B+ Hence the question.
A schematic would be worth a thousand words!

I'm still unclear why you haven't answered your original question by simply measuring the voltage across each of the final capacitors.
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:03 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

And I'm still unclear why you don't answer the questions you're asked here.
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:20 AM   #27
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We definitely need a schematic and/or measured voltages across individual capacitors to make any useful comments. The only schematic in this whole thread, the one attached to post #6, doesn't even have a C6.
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:46 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

The circuit is the same as the Valve heaven Lamington 2 . I havent been able to post it . But it is a standard common 6 times multiplier. With 250 volt rated capacitors. This is why i was curious about the 505 volts at the B+ and (at the last two capacitors ) . Sorry i can't explain it any better than that ! I will measure the voltages at those two capacitors.
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:09 PM   #29
cnpope is offline cnpope  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The circuit is the same as the Valve heaven Lamington 2 . I havent been able to post it . But it is a standard common 6 times multiplier. With 250 volt rated capacitors. This is why i was curious about the 505 volts at the B+ and (at the last two capacitors ) . Sorry i can't explain it any better than that ! I will measure the voltages at those two capacitors.
If you mean lamington-power-supply | Valve Heaven then its a quadrupler, not a sextupler. With the 60V from the power transformer as in the schematic, and in the no-load case where HT1, HT2 and HT3 are not having any current draw, the voltages across C5 and C6 would both be a bit less than 340V. (They are both seeing the full output voltage, since they are coming after the output from the quadrupler itself, and they are essentially in parallel, in the no-load situation.)

But since you are saying yours is a sextupler, it would seem you must be meaning a different schematic.

Last edited by cnpope; 22nd October 2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 24th October 2019, 06:03 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thank you cnpope . It is in fact a 6 times multiplier. as per the Lamington 2 . Other lamington power supplies are 4 times. With your calcualations that means 509 volts across each capacitor. And i guess thats why i saw 505 volts on the B+ at start up . The circuit has 250 volt capacitors , hence the question.

Voltage Multiplier  CapacitorsHide this!Advertise here!