• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Unsual triode configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've studing a SQ decoder for my electrical engineering final term paper and I'm looking for a tube configuration that is analogue to this circuit:
Ygc2s.png
as for the sake of historical contextualization. So, has anyone ever seen a a triode tube operating on this configuration:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've heard that some AM radios might use it, but couldn't fine any example, so, if you know, please, tell me a book or a service manual of a radio that uses it.

I doubt if Mr. Moses invented the circuit, and I have never heard it called a Moses phase shifter.
I'm not sure either, I just read the article I posted and it says it's called Moses's phase shift. The point is, all the proffessors who are gonna grade my final paper term ain't much worried about worried about historical accuracy as long as I cite an article as a source, I mean, in case it's wrong, blame whoever wrote it. I truly wish I could find a more reliable source of who 1st invented such circuit, but it's been hard as hell and the only thing I got is this article.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I doubt if Mr. Moses invented the circuit, and I have never heard it called a Moses phase shifter. He invented an application for a particular version of it. As I said, it is known as an all-pass filter.

The passive R-C phase shifter is known from before WWII (sorry I don't have a cite).

I don't recall seeing the cathodyne-driven phase shifter before the 1950s (when Moses wrote); he may have been early in documenting this technique.

It's not in RDH, Shea's fat Amplifier Handbook, or Turner's slim Waveform Measurements.

And Moses 1953 is a fine cite for school-work.

Yeh, cite the original Moses doc rather than my article - I may get a D- rather than a B+.

Moses used the circuit in a measurement technique - so it was the application of the circuit.

And I think you reached a bit far to say "its called Moses's phase shift" - that was just a brief description for the circuit snip presented in a figure.

Ciao, Tim

PS. you will get an A+ if you can work through the phase shift to be expected from that circuit for particular part values.

Last edited:
Yeh, cite the original Moses doc rather than my article - I may get a D- rather than a B+.

Oh, there you are, the writer, thanks for writting such article, guess I misinterpreted when you wrote Moses' phase shift. And, didn't mean to offend you by sayind "blame whoever wrote it", after all it was my mistake, and, as I'm gonna be graded by engineers, some of them might not even care about historical contextualization, all they care is about derivatives, integrals, current and voltage calculations., proof of concepts...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.