• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp high-voltage delay

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Common knowledge on dutch technical schools decades ago. Anyone reading Elektuur/Elektor knew this too.

It seems today some people search for complicated ways to solve non-issues already solved a long time ago. Or, worse, to find a new way of doing things that is way worse than the old method. On this forum one can detect some design errors in designs that are accepted and defended.

Nah, quality and efficiency are boring :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is THE modus operandi of mechanical switches. Just suppose you have to switch exactly at zero crossing or otherwise things go wrong :D A bit like syncing was done by hand in the old days with generators. Sweat in the hands.

Attachments

• generator-synchroscope.jpg
    generator-synchroscope.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A zero xing SSR does NOT switch on at the zero crossing. It ignites the triac at the zero crossing. That triac takes several msecs to get all fired up, so to say, which places the mains switching point almost smack on the top of the sine wave.
When I started working on the sequencer, with a small microcontroller, I'd switch the triac a couple of msec before the zero xing to neatly switch the load transformer at exact zero crossing. I couldn't understand why those fuses popped, until I discovered that at zero crossing the dV/dT is max and the xformer looks almost like a short.

And so you learn what the professionals learned decades before you!

Jan