Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Tube amp high-voltage delay
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2021, 07:04 AM   #111
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTecson View Post
thread posts can be looked at in so many ways, not just from your viewpoint...
Sure, but it is good form here (actually is in the rules) to not hijack a thread. Sort of common decency.
Of course, if you are confused about what the subject of the thread actually means, you may be excused. At least, until it has been explained to you.

Edit: for those wondering: Threadjacking is the practice of taking over a thread by posting off-topic replies such that the original topic becomes diluted or lost. From rule # 1.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 2nd October 2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:13 AM   #112
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
I think you should rethink this. Well I am even sure Triac with electronic stuff is not equal to "zero crossing SSR". Don't believe simple members but take it from TE:

https://www.te.com/commerce/Document...=CS&DocLang=EN

As said, many new developments have no benefit but drawbacks. Let's call it by the correct name then. Now I am off to the lab developing wireless mains power.
Interesting read. I had no idea. However, been using SSR relays to control both power amps ( AR-D76 Dynaco ST0 & MKIII preamps etc) since 1980

with zero ill effect. In fact works like a dream. I guess the initial surge is
absorbed with no ill effect.
Using conventional relays will randomly act at zero crossing some times.
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:30 AM   #113
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That is called denial of facts but please go on. It is the absolute worst of solutions but that is fashion in some circles. The zero ill effect is probably that nothing has died yet, then the SSR is overdimensioned. It does not work like a dream as you have not looked with scope what happens and guess stuff. It works but less OK for all parts involved. If overdimensioned and stressed stuff does not die that is not OK but "mediocre" or "bad" compared to solutions that don't stress parts and also work OK.

In engineering the rule of thumb is to use zero crossing SSR's only for ohmic loads. Like halogen heaters in copy machines etc. Why would I know? Well I made the error in switching neon lighting in a building with overdimensioned SSR's thinking it would work out OK. It did. It "worked like a dream" for a while Some got noisy, some neon ballasts started to make noise, SSR's started to die... Oh oh after investigation it turned out to be that zero crossing SSR's are better not used on reactive loads. Then someone got a light shock when changing a neon tube. After a while the SSR's leaked enough for electric shock and some neon tubes lighted up lightly when off. Disapproved solution, not safe.

So please measure your AR-D76 Dynaco ST0 & MKIII preamps and check if they are completely unpowered when OFF. Another drawback compared to the already mentioned ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
In the discussion for the B+ delay, we are talking about a delay that is long enough to make sure that the heater is at temperature and emission has stabilized. A few tens of seconds.

Edit: for those who are wondering: 1 ohm and 1000uF is 1millisec time constant.
There is nothing a tube rectifier won't solve

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd October 2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:05 AM   #114
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I now see that there is peak-switching SSR available. I'll use them in future builds.
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:07 AM   #115
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands

Now you had me surprised as these were AFAIK not available last time when I did a project with SSR's. Good development!

Solid State Relay - 1 phase Peak Switching | Solid State Relays | ECD Controls

One sees that simple solutions often have the better specs so I would look critically to these peak switching relays when using them and check what happens. Some modern solutions are not as nice as they are presented. I really like LT4320 ideal rectifiers and still use these with pleasure. Someone here pointed at the 6 MHz charge pump in these.... I don't have an issue with it in reality but this info is NOT in the datasheet...

I dare to say that a simple old fashioned good quality power switch and an NTC to the primaries are the best way of switching on transformers in all its simplicity and when all plusses and minuses are added up. Further surge reduction can be done at the secondary side. Complex EE wet dream smart solutions often miss a few essential things here and there.

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd October 2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:14 AM   #116
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post

Edit: for those who are wondering: 1 ohm and 1000uF is 1millisec time constant.

Jan
or 1000ohms and 1ufd is also 1 millisec....
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:35 AM   #117
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines

my experience, it takes a while before the sound comes on even if the filaments have warmed up...it can take almost a minute....

in my 6c33 set amp build it is almost 10 minutes before the sound comes on...i do not mind the wait...
  Reply to this post

Tube amp high-voltage delayHide this!Advertise here!