• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY McIntosh Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dad has a mc240 and MC-20 and all other 60's tube and analog stuff that he only paid hundreds for as a poor college student, I'd like one but I'm not paying thousands of dollars for stereo equipment... he only paid hundreds for his.......

In the 70s, you could buy Mac power amps for about $1/Watt. The high power wars were going on with new solid state amps like Crown and Phase Linear 700, and of course monster Japanese receivers with "IHF" power specs. An MC240, with only 40W/channel, looked dated. Over a few year period I bought about a dozen Macs for under $100 a piece: 240s, 225s, etc. Whenever I saw one collecting dust in the back of a HiFi store (they'd take them in trade) I bought it. I sold most in the late 90s when I realized they were rusting in my garage. Now they'd almost pay for a house!

Hammond H300767 Winding DC Resistances

These measurements all done by the 4-Terminal method, eliminate test lead & contact resistance. ALL the leads are brought out, not connected as shewn on the dwg. The results indicate the transformer was wound serially.:)
No attempt to balance the opposite sides of the primary, but no matter the signal is across the ends(bridge output). The CT doesn't matter. it is simply a DC return for some low level circuitry.
Only those with bat's ears could claim they hear a difference. As they often do, without proof!!:D

Attachments

• Hammond 300767 Ouptut Transformer Winding Resistances w Captions.jpg
    Hammond 300767 Ouptut Transformer Winding Resistances w Captions.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 220
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.