Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

811-10 mono blocks
811-10 mono blocks
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2019, 12:12 AM   #1
jdg123 is offline jdg123  United States
diyAudio Member

811-10 mono blocks
Default 811-10 mono blocks

It took me much longer than I thought and it's not really finished yet... I will give it a proper casement, but here is a working 811-10 based on Eric Barbour's design...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1277.jpg (597.3 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0154.JPG (928.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 811-10 amp.jpg (676.3 KB, 244 views)
Old 28th September 2019, 08:35 AM   #2
johnson1496 is offline johnson1496  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

To jgg123. Very interesting. What for D3,D4?
Old 28th September 2019, 11:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

811-10 mono blocks
Hey, two woody amps featuring the 13em7 in a row

The diode isolation, as I understand it, prevents the drawing upon the previous section when demands of the tube exceed what was just presented. It痴 something out of the RCA manual that a friend suggested. He said it allows the tubes to be fed only by the last LC and all the others are silent supporters. It痴 a very low DCR supply. I can tell you the amp is hugely dynamic! I壇 call it a 300B slayer!
Old 28th September 2019, 11:45 AM   #4
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

811-10 mono blocks
isolated stages at turn off, these diodes in the psu is not really needed, you need those if using a power plug to the amp, prevents the the pug contacts sparking...
Old 28th September 2019, 12:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

811-10 mono blocks
I’m no EE. I’m thinking that if power can only cascade forward then the final section is all that the tube “sees”, right?
Old 28th September 2019, 06:25 PM   #6
6A3sUMMER is offline 6A3sUMMER  United States
diyAudio Member

I think if you need those diodes in the B+ CLCLC filter, the reason is Very obscure.

I need someone to give a more definitive explanation.

When we have a power outage, the first cap will still have some charge, and the B+ will die gracefully with or without those diodes, right?

Anyway, a choke between two capacitors is not likely to see any really high frequency transients, if it does, the first cap is too small, take it out, and plan for a choke input supply, yes?

Of course also, do not use to large of a first cap, vacuum tube rectifiers do have their limits too.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

811-10 mono blocks
There is a related thread on this site about power supplies for 811 tubes. I知 not sure how to link to it. I知 getting urged to change to an interstage transformer from the coupling cap but I know a fellow (SET12 from AudioKarma) who built this way (slight variation of one extra choke and the called for 2uF instead of the 1uF I could afford) and his amp ran strong and true for years. I知 betting on experience over theory... unless someone has differing Experience with A2 power supplies. I invite alteration to my schematic to reflect that experience. Experience is a great teacher, I知 all for it! Otherwise, This set up is a proven performer... with diodes and coupling cap :-). I知 not defending it in theory I知 just saying it works!

Cheers!
Old 11th October 2019, 09:21 PM   #8
6A3sUMMER is offline 6A3sUMMER  United States
diyAudio Member

D1 and D2 are easily explained, and needed.

D3 and D4, nobody has successfully explained.
But perhaps D3 and D4 will make things a little better if the capacitors do not have enough capacitance, or if the inductors are not good enough.
I would be real interested to see the RCA article, and I would be willing to bet there were no inductors connected to the diodes, just resistors.

Last edited by 6A3sUMMER; 11th October 2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:22 PM   #9
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
I will work on a drawing showing how to build an interstage into that design, since the cap coupled approximately zero biased output stage is far from ideal.

The two 100K bleeder resistors are going to live a short life dissipating that kind of heat. You can put the two of them in series across one of the caps to avoid this issue.

Those random diodes are something you could definitely do without.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:45 PM   #10
enzoastro is offline enzoastro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I still have 4 x 811-10a from when they were new to the market, plan was a pp amp. Things I think have moved on a long way from that design. I would definitely try them with a MOSFET buffer. I'm driving a pair of SE 833a with a simple powerdrive (c tubelab) circuit very successfully.

811-10 mono blocksHide this!Advertise here!