Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Possibility of 100 Watts?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2019, 03:28 PM   #51
rsumperl is offline rsumperl  United States
diyAudio Member

Good Monday everyone,
As always, thank you everyone for your inputs. Hopefully when this project is over I'll have something that is truly outstanding.
When it comes to high voltage delay, my intention is to have an Amperite Time Delay Relay control another relay. The "other" relay is a 3PDT relay. Besides delaying Plate and Screen voltage, would you delay Bias voltage?
The Amperite relay I have on hand is a 180 second unit. I'm thinking 180 seconds is more than enough time for the filaments.

Thanks as usual!
Ray
Old 14th October 2019, 03:48 PM   #52
MelB is offline MelB  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ya, don't delay the bias voltage. Your tubes will need that present the instant the Plate voltage appears and it typically takes a few seconds for the bias voltage to ramp up.
Old 14th October 2019, 05:32 PM   #53
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Those high value Amperite relays bounce at the sign of current draw and arc. If you mist use one, I'd use it to drive a transistor that controls an electromechanical relay.

As MelB said, connect the bias voltage on power up (switch it on with the heaters, and use a LARGE cap (220uF or higher I usually use) for it so when power is removed, the bias voltage will last longer than the B+.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:47 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the hints on the Amperite. I had the Tine Delay Relay and the 3PDT relay sitting around, so I thought I would try them. I know there are solid state units out.
The Amperite is a 6 volt model as is the relay, so hopefully the Amperite doesn't take a beating. The 3PDT relay is rated for 1500 v between contacts, I have a spare just in case....
Old 15th October 2019, 04:00 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Good Tuesday everyone,
In using a mechanical relay to control high voltage, specifically one set of contacts controlling 500 vdc and the other set 150 vdc, should I place a capacitor or R/C network across the contacts to prevent possible arcing?

Thanks
Ray
Old 16th October 2019, 11:11 AM   #56
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

That might be wise, breaking DC at significant voltage is hard, if there's enough power to sustain an arc you can start fires inside a switch. A snubber will allow the voltage across the contacts to stay low until they have separated to sufficient distance. Best is to use contacts rated for the voltage and current involved.
Old 16th October 2019, 11:31 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Good Wednesday,
Any thoughts on component values? I’ve seen several differing values on the net.

Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 09:15 PM   #58
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Of what parts specifically?

Possibility of 100 Watts?Hide this!Advertise here!