• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Using zeners for G2 regulation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Throw the reference voltage created by the zeners to the gate of a mosfet. Use a suitably sized heatsink and you will have a much more flexible supply for the screens. I throw a potentiometer and resistor stack across the zeners to have a bit of adjustability in setting the screen voltage, something like a 100k pot on top of a 330k resistor can give you a bit of range to play with.

Something like what Pete does would be a swell solution here-

657913d1516485958-6sn7-push-pull-flea-amplifier-project-dcpp-h4-gif

Choose zeners as needed to set the voltage you want.

Last edited:
+2

Would it be for a reason allowing G2 to swing along with PS voltage? If one wants to investigate... just put a hard coupling between those nodes with a couple of BJTs.

I have an PPP 6L6 amp with OC3 regulator for G2 supply.
The way they did it is the V regulator removes 150V from the B+, and not clamping the G2 to ground.

So essentially they wanted the tubes to be driven in the same condition relative to the B+ swing.

That tells me there is a good reason but I don't know the theory behind.

Sounds about right. It's within spec if the zeners are %10 tolerance.

Do you know any Zener diode types which such a large tolerance? I'm more used to seeing 5 % to 7 % tolerances (for the standard models, less when they have been selected for better accuracy).

91 V Zener (or actually avalanche) diodes have very steep (dynamic) characteristics, so the fact that the current probably differs from the test current also doesn't explain it. I think SemperFi is probably right with his/her remark about self-heating and temperature coefficient.

Perhaps you observe the loading of a bypass cap at G2? For best regulation current excursions need to be as low as possible (against heating up), that's where the BJT (or FET) is of aid.
When you observe the dynamic properties of a sole 1N5377B, its impedance is 760 ohm at 1 mA, dropping to 75 ohm at 15 mA, while the maximum regulator current is 52,5 mA. A bypass of 1uF will ride along with G2 voltage at any signal level.

Attachments

• Zener diode.JPG
    Zener diode.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 79
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.