• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cutting open vacuum tubes - dangerous?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I was planning to do something somewhat unconventional;
I would like to create a kind of mini city using several (3 or 4) old vacuum tubes. For this I would like to keep part of the original innards and also remove and add some parts to make the insides look more like little homes. Then add some lights and maybe some little roads between the tubes.

This would mean grinding the bottom of the tube off with a diamond wheel and also grinding off some of the structure of the inside.

But I'm not sure if this is safe since I don't know what materials were commonly used back then. I won't be using any exotic tubes, more like a couple of el84's for example.

Do I need to be afraid of any coating materials or things like asbestos? I believe the spacer plates where made from mica and not asbestos, is this correct?

I don't think you will find asbestos. Some high power valves may include Beryllium Oxide, the dust of which is highly toxic. Normal receiving valves will not have this.

Most of the metal inside will be an alloy of nickel. Things to be wary of are the cathode coating and the getter. These are metal oxides and may be toxic or even slightly radioactive. However, provided that you wash your hands after handling and keep children and pets away all should be OK.

I suspect that if you touch the anode with a grinder then it will rapidly fall apart, as the metal is likely to be quite thin - which is why it needs mica to hold it in place.

The easiest way to get the tube "innards" out of the tube is to wrap the tube in a towel, and strike it with a hammer just hard enough to break the glass. The anode can be cut with scissors. As DF96 said, it's quite thin material. Wash you hands and/or use nitrile gloves and you will be fine.

Some thoughts, in no particular order.

The old bottle cutting trick of wrapping cotton string, where the break is wanted, wetting with rubbing alcohol, and setting it alight may be of use. Cut glass edges are dangerous and need "fire polishing". Either a propane torch or a laboratory burner works.

Getters are made from metallic barium, cesium, or rubidium. All of the above are highly reactive and their oxides form strongly alkaline solutions with water.

Cathode melts are known to contain barium and strontium carbonates. The carbonates convert to oxides, when heated. So, the water/alkalinity issue is present here too.

Thoriated tungsten filaments, as found in 211s, 845s, and other transmitting types are mildly radioactive. Don't breathe or ingest any dust. The alpha particles emitted are not particularly dangerous to your skin.

I don't know. What I do know is that barium, cesium, and rubidium have been used as getters. AFAIK, barium is commonplace. It really doesn't matter, as all 3 are highly reactive and their oxides dissolve in water to form high pH solutions. These bases are somewhat stronger than sodium hydroxide (lye) and concentrated lye solution will dissolve flesh.

Kept out of the eyes and skin breaks, dilute bases are reasonably safe. Eye protection is a very good idea, under many sets of circumstances.

The value of pH depends on the "activity" of solvated protons, which is concentration related for strong acids and bases. A 1 molar solution of HCl exhibits a pH of approx. 0. Get NaOh concentration > 1 molar and the pH is above 14. At 25o C., the solubility of NaOH is 1000 g./l. The formula weight of NaOh is roughly 40 g./mole and solutions more concentrated than 1 molar are not difficult to prepare.

As for why a pH of 7 is "neutral", refer to the ion product constant of water.

Attachments

• glass_dome.jpg
    glass_dome.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 249
  • LED_strip.jpg
    LED_strip.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Wavebourn said:
Asbestos itself, like berillium oxide, are not toxic.
Asbestos in a stable form is not toxic, simply because it does not get into your lung. However, keeping it stable can be difficult.

Beryllium oxide is toxic, but fortunately very insoluble so you need fine particles to get enough in solution to do harm - then it gets rather nasty. OK to handle intact devices, but don't break them!

kodabmx said:
Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) also makes an alkaline solution with water. Why is it dangerous in this case? Also, Sodium Hydroxide has a PH of 14. You can't get any higher than that, right?
There is a huge difference between a mild alkali like sodium bicarbonate and a strong alkali like sodium hydroxide. Does the pH scale end at 0 and 14? I suspect not, but few common substances exceed these values.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.