• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6GW8/ECL86 based line amp

The robustness of a tube type doesn't always depend on maximum anode dissipation alone (note: the maximum screen grid dissipation for the ECL86/PCL86 and the ECL82/PCL82 are practically the same).

The ECL82/PCL82 was designed for both audio and frame output (vertical deflection in TV's). The ECL86/PCL86 was designed for audio only (the characteristics of the L-section are very close to that of the EL41).

On vintage radio and television forums thermal runaway of the ECL86/PCL86 has often been described.

My ecl86 (pentode wired as triode) amp with type 80 rectifier that I finished earlier this year. Sounds awesome. The tubes are Polam.

This is a wonderful tube that was designed at the very of end of tube design era (ca. 1963).

I don’t know that I’ll keep it forever but I really like it. It’s a perfect summertime amp as it dissipates very little heat in comparison to my EL84 or big bottle SET amps. Sounds almost as good as them.

I say go for it!

42947A85-1450-412B-A2B6-C72AFBB8D2CD.jpeg

My ecl86 (pentode wired as triode) amp with type 80 rectifier that I finished earlier this year. Sounds awesome. The tubes are Polam.

This is a wonderful tube that was designed at the very of end of tube design era (ca. 1963).

I don’t know that I’ll keep it forever but I really like it. It’s a perfect summertime amp as it dissipates very little heat in comparison to my EL84 or big bottle SET amps. Sounds almost as good as them.

I say go for it!

View attachment 991575
Hello,
would you mind sharing the details to build this amp please? and some more pictures of it's layout on the inside , maybe parts etc etc , I have this DIY ( see picture) thing which was scavanged from a radio/ amplifier and it works only ...look at it and look at yours :)

IMG20220728200644.jpg