• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DC on secondary of output transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kevinkr,

Agreed. Safety first.

It is true that there are different power systems, and ground systems, etc. around the world. However, when products and electronic devices can come into contact with unsuspecting consumers, there needs to be some measures taken to assure safety. Putting an amplifier high up in a locked cabinet does not help if the loudspeaker connections are easy to reach.

In the OP case, there is no feedback therefore no common grounding is necessary. Now if you see a DC presence there, I certainly would suspect an OT (dangerous) leakage, or a wiring problem.

After hours of usage with the secondary grounded, the amp finally blew a fuse and the primary now has shorted to secondary causing a severe load. Before blown fuse, I noticed the high frequency was rolled off. Essentially the output transformer is a faulty unit.

For safety reason, it is best to ground the secondary, even in a non-feedback design!

Sorry to hear. That sucks.
Failure of the insulation most likely.

I had a Marantz 8B output transformer sorting the primary to the core, so to chassis.
Only one primary PT fuse in this amp.

It took down the channel power tubes, the PS choke (nice caramel smell) and the secondary PT HV winding (not entirely but the PT was idling at 35W with no load).

Not fun. Since then, I always fuse the HV rail.

this what a failed opt looked like upon dismantling...

Attachments

• Opt-D_IMG_3223_zpscb42ef74.jpg
    Opt-D_IMG_3223_zpscb42ef74.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Opt-D_IMG_3224_zps0434a6ac.jpg
    Opt-D_IMG_3224_zps0434a6ac.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 143
  • Opt-D_IMG_3225_zpsbf5a65e5.jpg
    Opt-D_IMG_3225_zpsbf5a65e5.jpg
    976.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Opt-D_IMG_3226_zps147b5bf7.jpg
    Opt-D_IMG_3226_zps147b5bf7.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 130
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.