Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Matching tubes, what parameter to use?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 04:11 AM   #1
HarryY is offline HarryY  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Matching tubes, what parameter to use?

It would seem that matching on their gain would be best? Is it? Or is there a better parameterto match them on?

Thank you
Old 25th August 2019, 04:25 AM   #2
Tjj226 is offline Tjj226
diyAudio Member

I think THE best way to match tubes is to use a tube curve tracer and match tube curves. However its obviously unrealistic to test tubes this way. The more common approach is gm matching.
Old 25th August 2019, 04:26 AM   #3
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

What parameter *matters* in YOUR circuit?
Old 25th August 2019, 07:54 AM   #4
gingertube is offline gingertube  Australia
diyAudio Member

I don't match anything but output tubes.

With them I measure bias voltage and gm at the Valve tester manual suggested anode current value (and at the manual suggested anode and screen voltages) I collect up into different piles those which match gm within say 5% (if I have >10 tubes I might match tighter than this)

From each of those piles I then choose pairs with the closest bias voltage. So I match for gm first and then bias voltage second. Just my method. Others may do things differently.

Oh! I occasionally test twin triodes for balanced triode sections for Phase Splitter duty, again I match gm first and bias volts second.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by gingertube; 25th August 2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 02:29 PM   #5
HarryY is offline HarryY  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 View Post
I think THE best way to match tubes is to use a tube curve tracer and match tube curves. However its obviously unrealistic to test tubes this way. The more common approach is gm matching.
That's what brought this question up for me.

I was testing my tubes with a uTracer.

I have a pair of two year old Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 tubes that are so close that the plots from both sections as well as both tubes all overlay each other.

I have a second set of 12AU7 thats are labeled with only 'China" that are very nearly as good. That was a surprise since they came with a kit and I had just put them in my tube box to use a backup tubes.

Then I have a 'New" pair of Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 tubes that were bought as matched sections and matched against each other that are not matched either in sections or against each other.
Old 25th August 2019, 09:32 PM   #6
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

For SE amps I a first measure auto-bias on a resistor for a half of idle current, select closest tubes, then measure voltage drop on a resistor for intended idle current. Then select closest pairs from them.
Old 25th August 2019, 09:50 PM   #7
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

Measure the distortion from your amplifying device - and tube roll (if lowest distortion is what you are finally after).
Old 26th August 2019, 12:01 AM   #8
6A3sUMMER is online now 6A3sUMMER  United States
diyAudio Member

Matching a dual triode tube that is in a well designed 'LTP near perfect current sink' phase splitter might not be as important as . . . Matching a pair of very high transconductance output tubes in push pull output stage that uses a common cathode self bias resistor. Yes?

The application is often what determines the importance of a match.

For a pair of output tubes on SE mono-blocks that only use one output tube per amp, you might not need a close match as long as you have a good gain-balance control on the preamp.

Last edited by 6A3sUMMER; 26th August 2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 26th August 2019, 01:09 AM   #9
john_tracy is offline john_tracy  United States
diyAudio Member

If your LTP pair is loaded with a CT inductor you'll need to match bias current within the DC offset tolerated by the inductor (I have a lot of those in my system).
Old 26th August 2019, 01:23 AM   #10
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

i bought a quad of JJ 6L6GC tubes, in a circuit i used them in a pp amp that had individual cathode resistors, i was flabbergasted to find that bias was identical up to the first decimal point, how much more can you ask?...

Matching tubes, what parameter to use?Hide this!Advertise here!