• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

NOS Vintage Transformers, Vintage Caps, how far you go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings to all music lovers out there.

Please, anyone experienced the amplifiers builded by Otomon Laboratory aka Soundgate.net ?

For what I understood he works with vintage tube amplifiers and also custom build amps projects according to the customer needs.

Not too much info about it, appears to be interesting stuff...

Many thanks, best regards.

I have had the pleasure of negotiating with Otomon for long years and I can attest to his honesty and diligence He is a retired engineer specializing in audio and a source of rare and reasonably priced pieces, lately he has dedicated himself to building interesting equipment Of these last ones I have a 100TH and a DET-25 that work very well and without problems It is also very good and competitive in parts such as transformers

regards

Thanks for the feedbacks.

When I look his various amplifiers design, I think they are interesting, uniques, but sometimes very intriguing, strange..

For example, I noticed that in some amps, he uses vintage parts, vintage capacitors!?!?!? how such old capacitors can delivery nice performance? vintage transformers, some very old. from the 50's 60's 70's I think... he also sells this components...

What I found most intriguing is that in some amps he uses vintage western electric wires! wha's about that? I mean, very old wires, you can see clearly the signs of age deterioration..

Someone can explain about this design approach?

This is totally new for me...

In general, the amps appears always to have some vintage components, some more than others...

The work appears to be unique, interesting, but also intriguing, strange...

Greetings to all music lovers out there.

Recently I came across with a very interesting design approach from a japanese hand built tube amps manufacturers...

Here's his website:OTOMON Laboratory (音門ラボ) / Tube amplifiers

I noticed that in various of his clone designs, or special order made by the customers demands, or in his own creations and modifications, amps and preamps, vintage or NOS components are implemented, some amps more than others.. but in general, all have some of this components.

There's even amps with very old western electric wires???????? what????? hehehe, I mean, very old wires.... I don't know if I dig that thing with old wires.. but apparently there's people who likes that stuff..

So, what about the vintage and NOS transformers? LOTS of then in his works, Hashimoto, Hirata and ISO Tango, and many others... this stuff appears to be top notch for tube amps..

What most intrigues me, (besides the crazy very old wires stuff), is that even in some amps that are made with new parts, you always see some vintage ones, caps I think, aluminium caps I think, Vitamin Q Sprague Capacitors for example, Western Electric, and etc..

So...

I always thought that capacitors doesn't hold his functions after some decades, but it's a different situation with some components like aluminum caps for example? and this Hirata Tango square transformers and etc..?

Also, what do you think in general about the works of this amp builder?

I found very interesting, unique and captivating in some way, lots of character...

Many thanks, best regards to all!

Sorry, appreciate if you can modify the thread title for: NOS Vintage Transformers, Vintage Caps, how far you go? I think it will be better like this, as the discussion can flow trough this concept, and not just specific about the manufacturer that I mentioned.....

Appreciate if you can do, sorry for the work, I will pay more attention when creating new threads... many thanks sir.

Last edited:
There's even amps with very old western electric wires???????? what????? hehehe,

You should perhaps go out more often. WE wire has been used by many recently, not only for internal wiring but also as speaker and interconnect wire. It has also been emulated by Duelund. Threads about these have been running for years at Agon.

It is impossible to convincingly emulate the sound of a classic amp without using the right passive components. Transformers from the fifties can be truly spectacular. Capacitors and resistors too, but one needs to be very picky. The use of original solder would also be great, but sadly not an option.

You should perhaps go out more often. WE wire has been used by many recently, not only for internal wiring but also as speaker and interconnect wire. It has also been emulated by Duelund. Threads about these have been running for years at Agon.

It is impossible to convincingly emulate the sound of a classic amp without using the right passive components. Transformers from the fifties can be truly spectacular. Capacitors and resistors too, but one needs to be very picky. The use of original solder would also be great, but sadly not an option.

Aaaah, threads have been running. Good, must be real then.

Because the threads on moon landings, alien lifeforms and the royal family are out there too and we know they are totally credible.

Its totally possible to emulate the sound of classic amps - just build them to have the same deplorable distortion measurements. Adorable, but deplorable

And...

Your proof is?

You're the person making the claim. You're the one I expect a material citation, quote, proof, scientific material from.

I understand from your response that you reject the reality that how we think about something alters our perception of it. This is a widely accepted and understood phenomena. I am not inclined to provide evidence for it. Feel free to follow it up yourself.

An easy start to the concept is to look at the placebo effect.

You can understand anything you want. That is subjective. You said, there is a proof. When you claim one exists, you should at least bring up a scientific document.

Otherwise, why should be your claim much be different than common talk?

Using words like reality, widely accepted, understood ; are not proof to anything. But seem as an easy escape from bothering bringing one.
Bringing a proof is harder. Gibberish is much easier.

If my view was controversial, yes, I should provide proof.

My view is not controversial. Its very mainstream. A formal proof is not required of me.

If you think I should, perhaps you should produce a proof as to why.

Back to topic - people perceive what they expect or want to hear. If they believe old transformers or antique wire imparts a specific sonic character, that is what they will experience.

This makes the perception true and real for them, but not necessarily for everyone (or even anyone) else.

Back to topic - people perceive what they expect or want to hear. If they believe old transformers or antique wire imparts a specific sonic character, that is what they will experience.

It is your subjective opinion as long as you don't bother backing it up. A document would be at least educative.

But the principle stays the same. Believe me, they say. Don't bother for a proof.
Your style seems not much different than the audiophiles use with subjective opinions.
I'm done.

FreedomJazzDance,

NOS components can be fine, but watch out. Some of them deteriorate, especially some paper in oil capacitors. If not sealed, the paper tends to absorb moisture if badly storaged.
But Siemens electrolytic capacitors I have in stock, 1982 production with screw-end still measure flawlessly.
Signal transformers, especially potted, should be in very good condition.
Speaking from experience, just using NOS components is not a definite recipe for good performance and sound. Schematic, chassis construction, the mixing of different components are just other aspects.

But there's a major benefit. They can be found for cheap, if not from greedy salesmen.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.