Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

A Tube amp without coupling capacitors? Possible?
A Tube amp without coupling capacitors? Possible?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2019, 11:27 PM   #281
Keit is offline Keit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boli46 View Post
China doesn’t need to subsidize it’s postal services. The Universal Postal Union (UPU), which is a United Nations agency, has decided, in its infinite wisdom, that China is a poor underdeveloped country and thus entitled to large discounts on its postal rates. The postal services in the West foot the bill to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Strange that Donald Trump hasn’t cottoned on to this yet.
Universal Postal Union = International Postal Union.

Boli46's statement seems to be a simplified and distorted view of the "Terminal Dues" (standard rates paid by each originating postal authority to terminating postal authorities) issue, which has been partly addressed by the IPU/UPU. Trump is aware of it, but doesn't understand it (as usual). See Trump administration seeks to end lower shipping rates for China and others.

The big picture problem the USA has is the same as Australia has. We don't make anything anymore - nearly everything consumers buy comes from China, regardless of whether they buy it via a local bricks and mortar store, or via the internet (ebay or whatever) direct from China. This means, that for the first time in history, consumer goods imports far outweigh consumer goods exports, and postal authorities terminal dues income from China does not sustain the costs of distributing Chinese postage.

As far as whole country economies such as Australia are concerned, there is no problem, its' balanced, because we export minerals and farm produce to China. But these exports go via ships at sea without involving the postal authorities. Thus what the Western postal authorities are losing thru low terminal dues, the governments are gaining in taxation of mining companies and farmers. Or should be, if their politicians have any brains.

Of course, if politicians (in USA and Australia) had any real brains, they would have addressed the reasons why we don't make anything any more.... (rise of the generic business manager class, over the top occ health & safety rules, competition rules preventing pooled R&D costs, etc etc)

Last edited by Keit; 1st September 2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:15 AM   #282
jhstewart9 is offline jhstewart9  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
I spent 41 years at Motorola in Plantation Florida. Our plants probably funded a similar sized factory at HP somewhere. There were several production lines and about 1000 engineers in its heydey.....At least 80% of the test equipment was HP.

I am currently recreating the RF workbench that I had at Motorola in 2014 by buying old HP stuff cheap and fixing it. I have good bit of it done, including a lot of stuff that cost big bucks in the 80's. HP 8664 generators, I have 4 working. 1 each working HP 8753C, Agilent 4352B, Agilent E4406A.......

Forum member rsavas worked in the Motorola Toronto facility.

Couple of the guys I was dealing with in the 1980s were moved to Florida, don't recall the names offhand now 30 yrs later. I think some may have gone to Schaumberg (Chicago) as well.

Mot gradually shrank to a sales & service location here. By the time I called it a day in 2010 (time to retire at 78) they occupied only one floor in the new bldg. They bought a couple of Aeroflex/IFR Wichita 3920s for servicing from the rep company I wuz working for. We also had some very nice Boonton & Noisecomm stuff for ripping apart digital modulation.

Didn't have to own much TE for a very long time, I had access to plenty state of the art, 24/7.

With a bit of luck I'll nail 87 this coming Friday.
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:36 AM   #283
Keit is offline Keit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstewart9 View Post
Mot gradually shrank to a sales & service location here. By the time I called it a day in 2010 (time to retire at 78) they occupied only one floor in the new bldg.
That's much the same story as too many Western firms who were once big names, well respected.

At one stage (1970's) I worked for Philips. Philips were huge worldwide, and huge even in Australia - multiple large factories, employing thousands. Philips Australia now is just a minor distribution firm importing everything from China.

A Tube amp without coupling capacitors? Possible?Hide this!Advertise here!