Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

A Tube amp without coupling capacitors? Possible?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 01:40 PM   #11
starkeyg is offline starkeyg
diyAudio Member

Agree with DF96:
"No. You have been reading too many audio websites and reading too few electronics textbooks.

If you want to improve a tube amp then the first thing to get rid of is the tubes. Then ditch the transformers. After that it is difficult to decide whether to get rid of the resistors or capacitors - maybe the caps should go. Finally, some would want to get rid of the wires.

The reason you don't see tube circuits wired like modern opamps is that nobody has invented opposite polarity tubes using positrons instead of electrons."

Transformers have far worse characteristics than any decent cap used well within its design limits. Why the love of those and distaste for caps???
Old 11th August 2019, 02:01 PM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I suspect it is nostalgia for the past, combined with lack of understanding.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:31 PM   #13
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's possible. You can use interstage 1:1 transformers, which if built correctly, have the best bandwidth.
Or use DC coupling, which is harder.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:46 PM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My findings are pretty much in line with tubelab's comments, when I was still designing and building PP amps I used dc coupled driver stages which I capacitively coupled to the output stage. Optimizing performance for the available supply voltages and building in tolerance for drift and line voltage variations was quite the task.

As DF96 states, the reason you see comparatively few fully dc coupled designed is the lack of a complementary device and substantially more complex design and power supplies. Have a look at a vintage Tektronix scope vertical amplifier design for examples of a "fully developed" DC coupled amplifier design.

Acrosound also had a PP 6BQ5 which was DC coupled which is noted both for its unreliability and propensity for eating output tubes.
Old 11th August 2019, 03:29 PM   #15
jhstewart9 is offline jhstewart9  Canada
diyAudio Member

Audio Magazine published a DC coupled amp in the 50s. My recollection it was PP all the way, 2X6B4s as outputs. Look for it later.
Old 11th August 2019, 03:59 PM   #16
alayn91 is offline alayn91  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,
There is, at least, one capacitor in the audio circuit: the reservoir capacitor.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:50 PM   #17
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

With IPS and VAS perhaps if you pour some sand into the circuit it can be DC, but direct coupling output tubes I would think might be problematic.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:56 PM   #18
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Mr. Kaneda has been building DC coupled amp since 80's, both tube and SS, SE and PP. Looks like he has a lot of followers in Japan. His 300B single ended published in 97' looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 300BS_circuit.gif (5.6 KB, 447 views)
Old 11th August 2019, 05:00 PM   #19
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Built this a few years ago. It's my headphone amp now.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...sn7-schema-gif
Old 11th August 2019, 05:21 PM   #20
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

If the definition of "tube amp" includes headphone amps then it's actually easy (except for any large value capacitors in the power supply, of course). The recipe for a single-ended, single-tube headphone amp is simplicity itself:

1) Use an output transformer with about 5k to 10k primary impedance and a secondary impedance that is close to the impedance of your headphones (something like a 50 ohm secondary would work for most).

2) Use a high transconductance, frame grid RF pentode that will have a gain of at least 30 and plate resistance of about 1000 ohms when wired triode. Wire it triode. 12GN7A or 6e5P would work.

3) Use paralleled LEDs to cathode bias the tube. (I ended up preferring the sound of a cathode resistor with bypass capacitor, but maybe I actually like bad 'capacitor sound'.)

4) Regulate the plate supply. Something like 150V to 200V DC that can deliver 100mA or so should work for a stereo amp. (I wound up getting lazy; after trying mine with a choke input passive power supply with RC decoupling I ended up keeping it that way because it's dead quiet and sounds good to me. It even has AC heaters, but I can't hear any hum at all.)

That's a single-stage, single-ended triode, output transformer coupled headphone amp with no coupling capacitors.
--

A Tube amp without coupling capacitors? Possible?Hide this!Advertise here!