Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

What is the main purpose of this module?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2019, 09:02 PM   #11
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The problem was, the robot was Japanese, but substrates were with lousy Soviet tolerances
Our substrates were manufactured by Coors, the beer company.

It seems that they had started their own ceramics division because nobody would make the ceramics they needed for brewing beer in non metallic vats.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:43 PM   #12
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Our substrates were manufactured by Coors, the beer company.

It seems that they had started their own ceramics division because nobody would make the ceramics they needed for brewing beer in non metallic vats.
We baked potatoes in muffin ovens. And kept beer in precision testing thermo chambers with Peltier control.
Old 9th August 2019, 11:32 PM   #13
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
So I had to ask the people running the line what I thought was a simple question......how much does it cost to place a part on a board? Nobody had a clue, or even knew how to answer......
I guess you were all EEs in that floor .
Like most of Engineering branches, focusing on the specific Tech side, either designing (which can get distanced from the practical side) or manufacturing, by necessity with firmer feet on the ground, but still focused.

You should have called an Industrial Engineer , who specializes in "doing for 10 cents what others do for 1 Dollar" , machine or technology choice based on efficiency which in due time is heavily influenced by production scale, worker output, task analysis and assigning, quality control, parts ordering, plus related tasks such as worker compensation, storage/warehouse design, production line balancing and task scheduling.

All that not varying a single resistor value.
Old 9th August 2019, 11:44 PM   #14
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

Our specialty was called "Engineer Designer and Technologist of Radio and Electronics Equipment", the faculty was "Design and Manufacturing of Radio and Electronics Equipment". I.e. in USSR we had to optimize the end result starting from the first phase, designing schematic and selecting components for the given environment conditions and other criteria like max possible price.

For example, my diploma project was a microwave alarm system based on Doppler effect. It supposed to be made around a thick film hybrid IC, and cost less than 70 rubles, work in usual home conditions indoors, work on 10.7 GHz. Solving this equation with multiple variables I designed an IC with only 2 external capacitors absolutely needed, the IC was used also as a rear lid for a waveguide-antenna, and the waveguide acted as a heatsink.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 9th August 2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10th August 2019, 12:51 PM   #15
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess you were all EEs in that floor...... designing (which can get distanced from the practical side.....Industrial Engineer , who specializes in "doing for 10 cents
As you stated engineering can become quite specialized, layered, and compartmentalized. In our facility which employed over 5000 people at the time, there were over 1000 people called "engineers" including industrial engineers. Many had only been out of school for a year or two and had never been near a manufacturing plant. SMD manufacturing was improving overnight at the time and we were adding new stuff, and entire production lines constantly.

The EE's often became so specialized that they worked on one small section of a radio product for their entire career. We didn't have radio engineers, or even transmitter engineers, we had VCO or RF power amp engineers. We had research engineers, product development engineers, product manufacturing engineers, factory process control engineers....and many more layers. Despite being a "communications company," communication between the layers was less than optimal.

This worked OK when were making police walkie talkies that sold for thousands of dollars each but cost a few hundred to make. Product volume was in the 10K to 25K units a year range.

I worked there for 41 years (about 25 at the time) and knew a lot of the other long time employees, so I knew who to ask, and how to bypass the red tape BS.

That factory and it's engineering staff created a hybrid device that was both a cell phone and a walkie talkie, the Nextel walkie talkie phone. It launched at 25,000 units a year, and was at 1 MILLION units a year in less than two years.....of course nobody expected that, or was prepared to handle it.

I had been making electronics in side businesses ever since I was a teenage kid, including a little PIC chip gizmo that sold 250K units, so I had some insight as to what questions to ask.....including the biggie...

How much does it cost your factory to pack and ship an EMPTY BOX. The answer.....nearly $50!

When you have only two customers in the US and a couple more internationally it doesn't make sense to make large boxes with multiple inserts for each phone, then crate them all....BULK PACK.
Old 17th September 2019, 03:26 AM   #16
opcom is offline opcom  United States
diyAudio Member

There's a Centralab catalog here that has several starting on page 40.
Untitled Normal Page

You might have a PC-150 Audet (R) Output Stage couplate.
http://bunkerofdoom.com/xfm/centralab/042.jpg

Last edited by opcom; 17th September 2019 at 03:31 AM.

What is the main purpose of this module?Hide this!Advertise here!