• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with Dynavox VR-20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've now been testing the amp with some Cambridge Audio Minx XL -bookshelf speakers. So far it gives enough volume and nice warm sound. The configuration is factory tubes and settings.

Cambridge Audio Minx XL:
Sensitivity. 87dB.
Frequency response. 50Hz - 22 kHz.
Impedance. 8 Ohms.
Recommended amplifier power. 10-100 watts.
Drivers. Tweeter: 1 x 25mm (1") silk dome tweeter Mid/Bass: 1 x 135mm (5.25") treated paper cone.
Crossover. Two way.
Ported. One rear.

Hi everybody,

I have two questions about the VR 20 please:
I´m looking for the C 5 in the VR 20, it must be in the feedback-stage, the normal value is 100pf, it should be replaced by 47pf to get more and clearer hights.

In the schematics are 2 100pf C but no number behind, so which one ist the C5?
2. I got one stil new and not pimped, it seems to have to many distortions? Is this a problem of the wrong bias ? Or must I wait x x hours for burn in?
A helpfull anwere woulb be very kind, thanks in advance and all stay healthy and clean BR Joe

Hi everybody,

I´m looking for the C 5 in the VR 20, it must be in the feedback-stage, the normal value is 100pf, it should be replaced by 47pf to get more and clearer hights.

2. I got one stil new and not pimped, it seems to have to many distortions? Is this a problem of the wrong bias ? Or must I wait x x hours for burn in?
A helpfull anwere woulb be very kind, thanks in advance and all stay healthy and clean BR Joe
Who says that C5 should be changed ?

Bias settings should be in your manual. Earlier in this thread 280 - 300mV is suggested.

Does it distort ? How much and at what power ? ( figures please )

Last edited:
Just some observations:

No g1 grid resistor to ground on the input tube.

2 grids on the concertina tube are not connected.

Missing the ground connection on the output transformer common.

Just need to check the PCB and wiring to complete the in-complete schematic.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

This information seems to come from a upgrade of Dynavox VR-70E (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/317767-mods-audio-institute-vr-70e-3.html#post5328938) See post #21-24.
The schematics of VR-70E is very similar to VR-20, so it could benefit of this change as well.
I would call this "upgrade" as there is no figures whatsoever that supports
any changes and if they are to the better (or worse).

Based on the schematic on Post # 13:
(any other schematic may, or will, have different answers).

The reason for the bias pots on the fixed bias is so that it is adjustable fixed bias.

It is adjustable, so that you can set the tube current between 28mA and 30 mA.

And, it is adjustable so that you can set both tubes to exactly the same current.
That keeps the output transformer happy (keeps it from saturating way too early).
Set to 28 & 28, 29 & 29, or 30 & 30. (280mV/10 Ohms = 28mA)
Make sense?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.