Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

tubes with the best 'glow'
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2019, 05:57 PM   #71
Wavebourn is online now Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
Looks like 6BN11 or one of the related Compactrons (6J11, 6BW11, 8CB11, 8BQ11, 6AR11 )
Yes, 8CB11

6BN11 has the same internals, just different pinout.
Old 15th August 2019, 04:27 AM   #72
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Sound View Post
I've gone all tube and all SS in the past with varying results. After quite a bit of experimenting the best combination for me seems to be tube pre-amp and SS power amp. Even flea power SS amps like the Amp Camp produce very satisfactory results with a tube pre-amp in front of it.
I agree. The current ongoing project, is a SS design but the discovery of a couple of TRF radio sets, one of the sets was too deteriorated to restore, but all the valves tested good. (The one used as the detector measured a bit less emission but still works) This set me off with the need to experiment.
The amp is sectional and so the VAS circuit was replaced by a substitute, a voltage conveyor to drive the grid and a floating filiment source, a CCS plate load, but all is actually direct coupled and so the DC is servoed. This makes the valves interchangeable so slight variations do not effect the output. OPS is HEC variation, 100+W. Triode is bias 120V @ constant 2.5mA, +/-30Vp output. Sound is, quite wonderful, listening to the genius of Beethoven.
Anytime you pour sand into an amp, it is good measure to have competent fault protection, to switch off the amp if it malfunctions. .

Although apparently they made many of the 201A back then, I've read that they are kind of rare. ( I do treat them like fragile eggs) I switched one of them out, the sticker on this one is stamped Aug 18, '27.

I look at a component from the POV of what can I do with it. I find that these hollow things do amplify quite well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1565839018028.jpg (43.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 1565843395301.jpg (48.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by CBS240; 15th August 2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 15th August 2019, 07:14 PM   #73
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

From Douglas De Young on Facebook. Gu-50 tubes dissipating 43W each. Uniform heating of anodes, the hottest parts along the fins. Telefunken design for German army.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68414005_10157236427354220_1425795547314257920_n.jpg (14.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 16th August 2019, 05:58 AM   #74
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

I probably cant see something, but the heating doesnt look that uniform. The fins are hottest, is this weher the beam is focussed? I make the assumption it's a beam pentode. I'd expect the cooling fins to glow the least, if they are going there job and radiating heat away from the source.

Is it usual for pentodes to red plate on both sides of the anode, even if that red glow is not a spot? (as a beam pentode may show) such as my photo in post 50

Last edited by mondogenerator; 16th August 2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 16th August 2019, 06:06 AM   #75
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
I probably cant see something, but the heating doesnt look that uniform. The fins are hottest, is this weher the beam is focussed? I make the assumption it's a beam pentode. I'd expect the cooling fins to glow the least, if they are going there job and radiating heat away from the source.

Is it usual for pentodes to red plate on both sides of the anode, even if that red glow is not a spot? (as a beam pentode may show) such as my photo in post 50
Do you mean your 6P30B filaments? They look nice. :-)
Once I saw a wonderful firework in 6S19P tube, when it's grid got fried with blue sparks all the way up like a ladder, between anode plates. :-)

I could not take a picture then. But I made a video of an amp with 6S19P, Gu-17, and 6F12P tubes all glowing pretty nice.

Constellation-T-2 in the darkness
Old 16th August 2019, 06:39 AM   #76
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post

Once I tested a batch of 30pcs of 6P45S (beam tetrode)for uniform anode heating.
Most had overheating redness on one side of the anode only
Only one piece scored with both sides red.

Old 16th August 2019, 10:08 AM   #77
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Wavebourn and 50AE,

Wavebourn, I am speaking of beam pentodes in general, but also it is relevant to my use of 6P30BR.

Being less experienced than many, I thought a beam pentode operated in one dimension, like a light house, emitting beams front and back.

I didn't realise I was correct, until I researched the devices further.

The relevance to 6P30BR is that it has dual anodes.

I felt stupid that I assumed these anodes were identical, but are they?

Last night I felt even more stupid, as the possibility occurred to me that 6P30BR may just have 2 connections to a single anode. Checking today (astounded I didn't try earlier) each anode is indeed isolated.

50AE,
That summarises my points exactly (how did you know?)

Try as I might, ALL my examples of 6P30BR have some red plating on one anode, and NEVER the other.

Are both anodes rated the same?
It certainly doesnt appear so.

Thank you both for your answers
Old 16th August 2019, 11:50 AM   #78
Demonkleaner is offline Demonkleaner  United States
diyAudio Member

One of my OTL monoblocks.

Has 10 6N13S's and four 12SN7's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMP.jpg (126.2 KB, 36 views)

tubes with the best 'glow'Hide this!Advertise here!