• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tubes with the best 'glow'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I always thought the Blue glow was residual gas in the tube.(and not a very good thing (soft valve!!))

A blue glow at the interior glass surface should be fluorescence ( beam tubes above), while blue throughout the tube would be gas. (WE355A thyratron above)

Thyratrons and gas filled rectifiers should have some nice glow.

Could also put an Argon bulb (AR-1 ) up top, to make fluorescent paint (painted OT) glow.

Attachments

• AR-1.jpg
    AR-1.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 582
Re cabass:> Having owned many transistor amps and a few valve (tube) amps they not only look different but SOUND different. As to which you will prefer will depend not only on your personal taste,But crucially on the other components especially speakers in your system.Most tube amps have an o/p transformer which effects bass response.Also tend to sound more involving ?????? than transistors which in my opinion are more warts and all accurate.I started building my own valve equipment from age 10 using old tvs and radios from 1950-1960s for parts and find them easy and forgiving to build (generally no HUGE open loop gain). One word of warning the voltage in high power valve equipment is LETHAL. After a lifetime of high voltage electrical engineering I have no idea how I have lived to my age and not fried.

Could take a sodium lamp and run it at low power using a CCS. Looks like the color will change depending on how hot it gets. Probably work as a voltage reference tube too.

Attachments

• Sodium_lamp.jpg
    Sodium_lamp.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 523
  • Low_P_sodium_L.png
    Low_P_sodium_L.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 520
  • low_pressure_sodium_lights.jpg
    low_pressure_sodium_lights.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 510
  • Osram_low_press_sodium.jpg
    Osram_low_press_sodium.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Thoriated Tungsten filaments look the best, imo.

All 5992 have a nice blue flouresence, and as far as I can tell, it lasts for the entire life of the tube.

And we can't forget one of the earliest Thoriated tungsten filiment amplifier bulbs, the wonderful, ol' UX201A globes. :). These were purchased on Nov 17, '31 according to the stickers. Bakelite with the long brass pins.

Attachments

• 1564443946914.jpg
    1564443946914.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 567
  • 1564512756839.jpg
    1564512756839.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 565
  • 1564671697107.jpg
    1564671697107.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
As generally an SS guy, I have to say the soft glow IS mesmerizing:drool:. I think I will be utilizing valves in the future, and using them in conjunction with SS might be rather interesting and fun.:nod:.
Another look at one of the antique 201A used as the VAS in my hybrid stereo as I crank out some Lincoln Park.:p The inside construction visible from the glow through the getter....... :cool:

Attachments

• 1565142076221.jpg
    1565142076221.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Spread spectrum,

It makes me even happier about my glow photo, being as the fluorescence in your 7581s is very like mine, also 7581a

What's the amp? Hifi or Instrument?

Mine is my guitar amp

I love the pinky glow of the 6AS7 (?) In the Last picture

The amp is a Fisher X-101B, the tubes are Electroharmonix 7591s. I thought they looked really cool.

The 6AS7 pink glow was just an artifact of the camera I used to take the picture. It looked more red in real life. Still, kind of cool looking.

The glow of valves is pretty, I can't worrying though about all that wasted heat and inefficiency, what with the state of the planet and what have you.

Andy.

Anybody really worried is free to seek and use alternative energy sources.

I've installed solar on my home so that I can spend more money on stereo gear. Without electric power there is no electronic musical reproduction and I don't want to live if there is no music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.