• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12au7 phase splitter/driver advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
My Primaluna Dialgue uses the above, was wondering if you guys can recommend a good tube for this application. Was thinking of trying out the E80CC/6085 but without amplifier schematics am not sure if the PS can handle
the extra current. Yes wrote to PrimaLuna but zero reply.

Thanks in advance

I know nuts about other series accept the 12au7 & E80CC. Hence seeking for advice. Thanks Jon for the advice. Im also curious why Primaluna uses 2x 12ax7 in gain stage & 2 x 12au7 in phase splitter/driver stage. Do wonder if they parallel up the tubes. Have not open up bottom plate to view yet.

Thank again Jon

Hi EJP,
It's about time to change I think. Hence trying to get advice to see if there's better for this application. Manual notes for replacement : 12AU7: ECC82, ECC802S, E82CC, 5814, 6189, CV4003. If I follow which will be a better choice ?

Thanks again

Ooops for got EJP, would like to get more ooomph if possible.

Thks

Since it is a driver, I would like to get more out of it like dynamics etc. My experience is only with E80CC/6085. I would use this tube without question if possible but without schematics or reply from Primaluna, Short of killing the amp, I've got to stay on the safe side.

Many thanks

Joined 2008
I know nuts about other series accept the 12au7 & E80CC. Hence seeking for advice. Thanks Jon for the advice. Im also curious why Primaluna uses 2x 12ax7 in gain stage & 2 x 12au7 in phase splitter/driver stage. Do wonder if they parallel up the tubes. Have not open up bottom plate to view yet.

Thank again Jon

mmmh....If 2x 12ax7 are you sure the phase splitter is done with the 12AU7? 2 tubes of each type sounds more like an input LTP phase splitter with the 12AX7 and a differential drive with the 12AU7. In such case you might get an improvement with the E80CC only if the power tubes need large signal and/or the 12AU7s in your amp are poor quality.

I think your objectives aren't clearly defined. If you change the valve, you'll have to change any anode/cathode resistors etc, as for instance a 12AY7 and 12AU7 are completely different valves in terms of current, gm etc.

It's not as simple as bunging a different valve in the socket, the "sound" and behaviour of a stage are influenced by the preceding and following stage, coupling caps, where the valve in question is biased along the load line, cathode caps etc, etc.

Andy.

Thank you Andy for the advice. Nope I won't do this. If it's on my diy project I'll do anything to it. Lol. Got these amps just to keep it as reference/comparison against my build. Perhaps at a later date when my fingers gets itchy, might open them up to have a peek .

Thanks again

You can replace the ECC82 by an other tube but it's risky, not that they need other resistors (not needed), but the stage is in a feedback loop.If you get more open loop gain there is a possible stability issue.
Here a back engineered part.
Mona

Attachments

• PrimaPart.png
    PrimaPart.png
    143 KB · Views: 146
Still in the dark as other members are. Here's a few things I've picked up in my research and mucking about with valve amps....a phase splitter apart from creating two signals 180 degrees out of phase, hopefully of the same amplitude, must also be able to "drive" the following PP stage. For most PP stages this isn't too hard and a simple cathodyne PS will do.

To get the same amplitude OP we use a CCS or different Ra's/and a balance pot or use a triode/pentode like in the Bailey PS.

Where it gets tricky is when your driving several valves paralleled in higher power amps, here you need a PS/driver than has low Op Z and plenty of "oomph" IE current as a PPP stage has a lot of capacitance due to inter electrode C.

In the old days amp designers would use a 12AU7 as this has oomph, but even better a 12BH7/ECC99/6H6N or you run two triodes in a 12AU7 or whatever in parallel. That or use cathode followers or an extra driver stage or even a transformer.

Another thing to take into consideration when your running the OP stage in fixed bias or if the OP valves are biased around the minus 40v or more stage is you need lots of voltage swing, hence why a LTP is often used.

One thing not touched on so far is the PS/driver must have low distortion and a flat response obviously: is this what you mean by "dynamics"?

Hope this helps and I'm not being condescending, your first language is probably not English making it difficult to articulate.

Regards, Andy.

Thank you kindly Andy. As it is the tubes are wearing out, it's just a simple thought seeing if there's some similar tubes that I can replace to improve the sound some what. As it is a commercial product & with no schematics, I wouldn't want to muck around with the internals for now.

Thank you again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.