• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heathkit W4 power supply PS transformer temp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i know they run hot and if you don’t watch out you’ll burn it up and won’t enjoy finding a replacement.

So as preventative maintenance decided to do more than a “feels hot” evaluation.

Here is my high tech measurement rig. I’m seeing 115 F. I am using the small paper towel scrap to reduce convection. How about others? If you’ve ever measured let the rest of us know when we should get worried.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 129
If possible, it could be worth reporting some other local items as a way to allow your measurement to benchmark what others could be measuring:

- mains AC voltage

- room ambient temperature

- if you have checked the output stage bias (current, voltage or tube dissipation)

You may also want to check if the measured temperature changes much if you put some more thermal insulation directly on top of the white paper toweling, to see if the thermometer bulb is being influenced by ambient air.

115F is 46C which is perfectly normal ....
I have been designing transformers commercially and for Military for over 40 years... The normal standard design practice transformers of that era was 40C rise above ambient under full max continuous power conditions... This is for transformers using materials ratted for 105C which is also refered as Class A insulation...
Your good to go....
Get yourself a thermal gun...with the laser pointer...this will be a fun tool to play with...

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Strangly, what prompted me to begin checking was when one of my pair seemed to be hotter. (I’ve since changed this) but until this weekend, i “daisy chained” the power from one amp tot he other using the accessory outlet one one of the amps to feed the other. Temperature seemed fine on both units, then i did some reorganizing and one amp seemed to be running hotter. (Pretty uncomfortable to your hand, but you can keep it on the ps tranny). And I’m a little suspicious air convection is causing the temp to be misreported. The thermal gun is a very good idea.

Since my first post I’ve added a bucking transformer and dropped the line from 118.3 to 109 and the temp dropped 5-6 degrees F.

Cerrem. Whats your opinion of my measurement rig? Would my reported temp be much higher with a gun? Do i really need to absolutely block airflow or is my small paper towel enough?

So you don’t think I'm completely crazy, these amps do have a reputation for blowing PS trannys and the world’s supply of spares, judging from ebay prices when they DO show up, are getting crazy. So I’m doing all this so our grandkids will be able to hear a heathkit w4.

Oh. And the amps are cathode biased, and i have them ac balanced, which is the only adjustment.

AND(!) I think they actually sound better running at the lower line voltage now.

Last edited:
Hmm. My amp was rebuilt q few years before i got it. He used good components he did good work and used higher quality parts. But it doesn’t hurt to check.

I don’t want to hyjack my own thread, but maybe related... I’ve ot had this on other tube amps. 2 thigs; i have a turn off thump in both mono blocks and when you cut the power, they don’t “coast” as the PS caps discharge - pretty much the sound dies immediately and there is a smqll “thump”. Thoughts?

You can easily find something like Fluke 62 Laser Infrared Thermometer on eBay...... or Home Depot...
If you want to get to the bottom of this issue..... you need to check and compare current draw for both transformers..... First check the primary AC current draw from the mains...then check the secondary side DC....Most common cause is leaky filter caps in the power-supply... next would be leaky coupling caps.... If you still cant find any dependencies, I would check the AC input current , ie magnetizing current, when the secondary is completely un-loaded..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.