• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You have !!
Your own device and a decent dvvm. Measure DC , then compare with a known good ( new tube ).

For the cost of a ( close to worthless) tubetester you get a ample supply of new tubes.

A DVM cannot check for inter-electrode shorts . A DVM cannot check for gas . A DVM cannot measure transconductance

All you can do is measure anode current and grid bias...

316a

Last edited:
Back in the 60s most customer-facing service departments had one. These were to test the jingly bags of valves that punters would bring in to try and save themselves the cost of a professional repair.
I cannot recall myself or any other repair staff using one to aid a repair. We always used measurement and substitution.
Once the customers stopped bringing in valves for testing, the testers got abandoned to collect dust.

Back in the 60s most customer-facing service departments had one. These were to test the jingly bags of valves that punters would bring in to try and save themselves the cost of a professional repair.
I cannot recall myself or any other repair staff using one to aid a repair. We always used measurement and substitution. Once the customers stopped bringing in valves for testing, the testers got abandoned to collect dust.

Well… my Pa was such a 'punter', friend.

He kept the 6 televisions in our neighborhood working from the 1950s thru the early 1970s by carefully removing all the tubes from a set, taking them to the local Wenger's Electric store, dutifully plugging them into the right socket and switching the rotaries to the indicated “for that tube” settings, and watching the meters wiggle.

If the valves were well into “the green”, they were good enough. Yellow or Red valves were then replaced. Our neighbors were only charged for the replacement tubes.

WHY he did this remains something of a mystery; he said it was because he lived in Kansas during both the Dust Bowl years and the whole of the Great Depression. And Kansas. Midwestern-help-thy-neighbor-tirelessly values.

In defense of Pa.
Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.