• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE amp build Voltage drop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,
In the process of building a SE amp using 6CA7 and 6U8 pentode / triode for input .

Power supply is giving 435 volts un loaded but when loaded drops to B+ of 277 . is this too big a drop ? And what could cause this ?

Transformer is 100 volts ac out to 3 times pump .
Cautious 1

Power supply is giving 435 volts un loaded but when loaded drops to B+ of 277 . is this too big a drop ? And what could cause this ? Transformer is 100 volts ac out to 3 times pump .
With out a schematic, here is a guess. Assuming you are building a stereo system with each channel consuming 60mA. That is 120mA total. With a 3X voltage multiplication, the current load is also 3X or 360mA. Not knowing your power supply filter circuit, it is hard to tell if this amount of voltage drop are normal or not. It does seems excessive with ~20W being dissipated as heat . (120ma * 158V = 20W) Any smoke or sign of excessive heat ?

Last edited:
Hi Allensoncanon .. The circuit is a simple SE one.. A 6AC7 output and a 6U8 pre amp stage . I hvae built PP amps before . I wanted a SE one and had a NOS 6AC7 And an old 6U8 . The power supply is just a 240 to 100 volt AC transformer into a 3 times charge pump which in theory as you know should give 425 roughly . The transformer is an old A&R one no indication of its VA ratings . My thoughts were that the voltage drop was much too great and wondered if anyone had thoughts ideas on the matter. I'm now suspecting the transformer is at fault .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.