• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Maplin Millenium 4-20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I bought a old tube amp, based on the Maplin Millenium 4-20. Basically a Mullard 5-20 clone

It has big output transformers and a massive chrome chassis, so I think it's worth spending some time and money on it.

It has a powerful filter section, with 3x 200uf 500/600v filter caps.

I changed every electrolytic capacitor and the amp is working again. No hum, but a light overdrive on one channel using louder volumes. Tube swapping doesn't solve the problem - so maybe I need new sockets and maybe test some filter caps and resistors.

I found a page with some modifications of the Maplin, so I was wondering what these modifications do to the sound of the amplifier - maybe someone could tell me :)

thanks, and cheers,

Felix
millennium-cct-mod-2.gif

What do you mean by a "light overdrive"? Do you mean early clipping?

The mods on that diagram are a mixture of good ideas and bad ideas. Good ideas:
1. remove bypass capacitors

Bad ideas:
1. remove 10M input resistor - this protects against failure of the volume pot. Even better, keep the resistor and add a coupling cap - this will lengthen the 'quiet' life of the pot.
2. remove the input low pass filter
3. swap the LTP to ECC81/12AT7 - this unbalances it so it then needs unbalanced anode resistors to push it back
4. reduce grid stopper values
5. fiddle with loop compensation components - this could be bad or good depending on the exact layout, OPT type etc.

Yes, I mean this shematic
763667d1560865670-maplin-millenium-4-20-a-millennium-cct-mod-2-jpg

Okay, so I wont went through the mods.

With overdrive I mean a distorted sound out of my speakers with rising volume level.

My speakers include a 15" Monacor SPA-115PA and a Celestion CDX-1430 horn driver - passive crossover network 8 Ohm overall impedance.

Changing tubes does not solve the problem - so I think it has something to do with the electric components.

Cheers,

Felix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.