• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

two toroids in series as OPT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you will need to make that "one massive turn" around the two toroids into a many turn winding around both toroids. Then put a LV DC supply (like 0.5 V or so) across that winding to neutralize the DC ampere turns of the tube primary in each toroid. A BIG cap across the DC supply to short AC. The AC from the two toroids is out of phase between them, so no AC resulting in the combined winding.

The AC from the two toroids needs to cancel in the extra winding, but the DC current applied should cancel the DC in the two toroids. The low V DC voltage will need precise adjustment, since only the winding resistance limits it. This technique could be extended to many 2X toroids used in series, one for each tube. Very little power need be used for the DC compensation, since the VDC is only the copper loss to achieve the ampere turns requirement.

Last edited:
Still not made a decision but enough good information now, thank you all.

DF96, why class A is the worst case? more current but primary supposed to be balanced in all cases? what did I miss?

I unwinded two 50VA 12V indel toroids, didn't see dual primaries in series so I'll use them for heaters 3.15-0-3.15.

They have been put in varnish (for wood floor purpose..) and are totally silent now (at least when unloaded). 3mA AC RMS at primary unloaded.

It may be the right time to add a shield between primary and secondary but I don't know how it is made? does a single turn (short circuit) of copper tape connected to safety ground mains could do it?

Attachments

• DSCF9352.jpg
    DSCF9352.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.