• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Elekit TU-8600R vs. Audio Nirvana 300B SET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody out there who knows them both?
I´m looking for an affordable amp with best value/sound for money relation.
Or will diy one from scratch a more promising way?
I think I have the necessary skills. I´ve built several SS amps over the last decades.
My main speakers are Sonics Alegra 4Ohm,91dB/W/m and I´m working on an open baffle 6Ohm, 96dB/W/m.
I would be grateful for your experiences and tips.

If you want to spend little then why buy an amp that uses an expensive valve like the 300B?

Buy an amp that use cheap Russian tubes, that sometimes are military tubes as GU50, some these gems are below:
6C33
GK71
GU50
6P3S (6L6)
6P13S (EL36)
G807
G1625
G811
All these tubes are inexpensive, sold below the manufacturing cost price.
Forget 300B its a expensive fairy tale and a shame.
''GSTube.com''. Tubes, sockets etc. Search result for <u>6p3s</u>

I would go for the Elekit 8200. Why, because it sounds awesome and the tube choices are excellent. Yes, the Elekit 8600 is very good, but the the 8200 is a way better value.

Ultimately, what you want is a tube rectified PSU, neither of the Elekits employ them. But, they do sound great and are easy to build.

I am currently working on a pcb for a group buy, and it is a tube rectified PSU design and easy to build. But, that is not ready and you will have to source everything for it: chassis, OPTs, board BOM, ect, ect...

The Elekit is an easy choice!

The Tubelab TSE II pcb for 45, 2A3, or 300B (builders choice) is available right now. You can read about it in the Tubelab sub forum on this site.

I have an earlier Elekit TU-879S. The Elekits are good quality and everything you need is in the box. As easy an experience as it gets.

I have no experience with Audio Note.

The Tubelab TSE II pcb for 45, 2A3, or 300B (builders choice) is available right now. You can read about it in the Tubelab sub forum on this site.

I have an earlier Elekit TU-879S. The Elekits are good quality and everything you need is in the box. As easy an experience as it gets.

I have no experience with Audio Note.

Agreed. The tubelab designs are excellent. It's just too bad the sockets are all board mounted. It makes for a more challenging build for most guys. Plus, it allows no customization of the tube layout.

The board that I'm trying to get ready just has the rectifier and drive tube on the pcb, with the OPS tubes off. The whole things uses simple terminal blocks to hook up everything.

Agreed, the Elekit is a no-brainer. With the right tubes, the 8200 could provide end-game performance.

Yes I read about the TSEII. That also sounds very promising. But it means building from the ground up by myself :rolleyes:
How big is the influence of tube type (manufacturer) and output transformer?
Is it worth spending much more money on them?
Excues my stupid questions - I´m newbie in tubes...

thx for your quick reply.
My main interest is best sound and not to be stingy. ;)
Cost should stay in a region let´s say up to $2000,-
I´m not fixed on 300Bs.
Nice, though great sound depend most on the OPT, output tubes also play a role, in this case GM70 at 1100V and GK71 at 800V as know to best sound than the 300B at a fraction of its price and bass will shake your windows.

There is various members here that can built this amp to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.