• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Output transformer for EL84 PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure what the reproduction Z565s cost in the UK, but at least in the US they are about $90 each, which is about the best you're going to get for that price. This may be different across the pond. I will say, however, that the Z565s I have played with are very well behaved and have excellent HF response, making closed loop stability much easier.

Edit:
I have built an amp around Hammond 1650P (not an EL84 amp, mind you), and I would consider it to be acceptable. It is reasonably well behaved, but the HF performance is average, and it really doesn't like more than about 16dB of feedback, even with the output zobel and several other tricks to stabilize it. So the Hammond stuff, while not my first choice, is perfectly acceptable. But Hammond is Canadian, so that will probably cost about as much in shipping and import as the Dynakitparts, no?

Last edited:
Lundahl is expensive and high-end everywhere. Arguably the Lundahl input transformer is why the legendary Focusrite ISA 110 sounds the way it does- very clean, very accurate.

I'll be very interested to know how those toroids behave. If they're decent, then they could be a great value for those who don't want to pay the (IMO ridiculous) price of the Hammonds.

My only thing with toroids is that I find it very hard to make the amp look the way I want it to with them.

Assuming that taxes and shipping aren't too bad, I'd go with the Z565. It'll have better HF response than the Hammond.

my 6C4C pp 20/44Khz 0/-1db with 1650H
12V/8ohm
splitter 560Q driver 124F
sound its warm powerfull bass everything
the 1620 its cheaper and also very good,
the same amp with 1620 run from years replacing 6Keuro accuphase

Last edited:
Another vote for Toroidy ...
I have used EL84PP, EL86PP (custom wound, minimal extra cost, sound great), EL34SE (current project, also sounds great with no NFB so far).

Plus power transformers for the above.

I have some exotic iron I picked up on an auction site for when I have developed my skills and understanding, but the Toroidy transformers have been sufficiently reasonable for me to get a foothold on this potentially expensive hobby, so I am very thankful to that company.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.