• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5U4G power supply to 274B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, the datasheet specifies 4uF for max duty. This circuit draws about 80mA, about a third of the max for a 274A. In my experience 10uF here is not a problem.

Thanks Grover.. The 5R4G is close in ratings and might be a good substitute too for the PSU I linked. Peckjed’s circuit looks like it could work with the 5R4G(Y) too if input cap is reduced to 10uF..

I know this was from a while ago. I installed the 10uF cap in place of the 30uF and the diodes on the rectifier. No issues with the rectifier anymore! However, I am noticing a hum from the choke that’s seems to be transferring to a 60hz hum on the speakers. Could lowering the 30uF to 10uF have caused this?

No. That hum (if any) would be 120Hz. Are you sure it's not 120Hz?

60Hz usually is caused by ground loops/heater hum. If you short the inputs to ground, does the hum go away? If yes, it's a ground loop.
Does the hum go away as soon as you switch the amp off? If yes, this means it's coming from the power supply of the amp, either electrically, or magnetically.

No. That hum (if any) would be 120Hz. Are you sure it's not 120Hz?

60Hz usually is caused by ground loops/heater hum. If you short the inputs to ground, does the hum go away? If yes, it's a ground loop.
Does the hum go away as soon as you switch the amp off? If yes, this means it's coming from the power supply of the amp, either electrically, or magnetically.

There is a small amount of 120hz hum, but also lower frequency 60hz. (If my understanding is correct 120hz is higher pitched, almost a buzz and 60hz is lower pitched hum).

I’ll test if the hum goes away when shorting the input.
Yes, the hum goes away as soon as I power the amplifier off.

This is the power simply schematic: Legend power supply - Album on Imgur

Dumb question - can a choke be wired backwards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.