• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5U4G power supply to 274B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You don't have to change a thing. The modern 274B is a drop-in replacement. However, it bears NO relation to the 5AR4, an indirectly-heated rectifier with a much lower internal resistance. There's no comparison.

Thanks for the information. When I put my 274B in the amplifier it sparked and blew a fuse. However, with a 5u4G it works fine. That was why I was curious if something needed to be modified.

What brand of 274B did you try? It's possible that 30uF for the first cap is too high, but with a circuit only drawing about 80mA it shouldn't be that big a deal. I have a friend who uses Sophia 274B's in a pair of PP300B amplfiers and he's never had a problem.

If you can modifiy the amp, you might try 10uF after the rectifier instead of 30uF. There's no sonic penalty for this and it would be easier on the 5U4 as well.

What brand of 274B did you try? It's possible that 30uF for the first cap is too high, but with a circuit only drawing about 80mA it shouldn't be that big a deal. I have a friend who uses Sophia 274B's in a pair of PP300B amplfiers and he's never had a problem.

If you can modifiy the amp, you might try 10uF after the rectifier instead of 30uF. There's no sonic penalty for this and it would be easier on the 5U4 as well.

They are the preferred series from the tube store (Preferred Series 274B / 5U4G Rectifier Tubes - www.thetubestore.com) so I figured they should be fine since they are similar to 5U4G. But I have another 5U4G that also sparks a bit on startup... but works.

Install a pair of UF1007 1K PIV soiled state diodes in series with the plates of the rectifier tube. Yea yea, I know it's sacrilege to use sand in a tube amp. But do it anyway because it works and you're not going to "hear" them. It should stop the arcing and prolong the life of those obscenely priced garbage Chinese tubes.

Install a pair of UF1007 1K PIV soiled state diodes in series with the plates of the rectifier tube. Yea yea, I know it's sacrilege to use sand in a tube amp. But do it anyway because it works and you're not going to "hear" them. It should stop the arcing and prolong the life of those obscenely priced garbage Chinese tubes.

A lot of the other threads I’ve been looking through point to that as well. I’ve got some diodes in my amazon shopping cart currently. Do you think this would prevent the 274B’s from arcing? I know the new production ones are similar to 5U4G, but still prefer a 10uF capacitor (whereas I have a 30uF currently installed)

Up size the SS diode to 3A part (Like HER308 or UF5408) and replace that 30uF cap with a 470uF and get less ripple :)

The 274B might be arcing because there isn't enough plate supply impedance. Try adding a 100R 5W resistor to each plate lead and see if the arcover stops.

Up size the SS diode to 3A part (Like HER308 or UF5408) and replace that 30uF cap with a 470uF and get less ripple :)

The 274B might be arcing because there isn't enough plate supply impedance. Try adding a 100R 5W resistor to each plate lead and see if the arcover stops.

...and placing that SS diodes in parallel with the vacuum ones dead certainly would eliminate any arcing :D!
Best regards!

Hi Grover,

What about in this PSU?:

http://shop.diyhifisupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/LD-diagram.jpg

The 274A has a 10uF input cap, but (in the datasheets) it is rated for 4uF max for input cap duty.. Is it the same case here that it is not being utilized “full tilt” so it is okay?? Thanks!

Actually, the datasheet specifies 4uF for max duty. This circuit draws about 80mA, about a third of the max for a 274A. In my experience 10uF here is not a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.