• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SRS461 | QE08/200 Monoblock Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure, but with a fix bias voltage the potential is the same on both ends of the grid resistor, giving the grid freedom to move. With a follower/driver the DC-bias is presented to the grid without a serial resistor. It's kind of a stabilised DC grid supply with the AC modulated on the DC. Not much freedom to run away.

Mona

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
isn't the 15k grid leak resistance in dc terms? not ac?

re: #37

The "15k" max is to ensure "small" grid-shift with a simple passive gridleak.

Bias is 50V so "small" could be 5V. 5V in 15K implies 0.3mA possible grid current.

The cathode follower is working at 250V/59k= 4mA. The cathode impedance is under 1k. Whichever way any 0.3mA grid current flows, it is swamped by the 4mA of the cathode follower. 0.3mA in a <1k impedance is 0.3V grid drift, which is indeed "small" compared to a 50V bias.

The decoupling at 12k+47k slightly affects this but probably no matter.

Thank you all very much indeed for the constructive discussion!

I already managed to get these particular problems under control with your help.
But the challenge for technical improvement is still going on, my setup is just a workaround at the moment.

With appropriate bleeder resistors on G1 and G2 of the QE08/200 tubes, for the first time the circuit is running absolutely stable at last!
But the stability is dearly bought, the performance is suffering.
My 6SN7GT preamp/phase inverter stage isn´t able to drive such a low resistive load, causing loss half of the output power and increasing distortion.
But it is an important insight for me to see the particular characteristics of the QE08/200 at work.

Here another video, quite some days ago. Just without these the improvements, and the strange behaviour misleading me, the tubes taking more and more current.
The reason why the plates glow dark red in the video. But only for the very sensitive camera that bright, for your eyes it feels ok.

YouTube

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.