• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is this a Gold Lion KT88?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wandering through Ebay looking at KT88's and I came across this.

It has the GEC Date code, As far as I was aware the Gold Lions around that production date (1979) had Yellow writing and the date code was under the yellow lion itself, or is this another version I haven't seen before?

I certainly cant see anything that proves it's a Gold Lion variant yet, the seller seems to have good feedback

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
It does not look like a Gold Lion, at least not from the last 30 years. The new ones got a red band with writing around the socket and a lion print, the older ones still got a lion print on it. The stamp of the type looks like it was done by hand. Even the old ones had the lion on it. If you can't see anything of the lion or there are no pictures showing the other side, you can safely assume it's not a Gold Lion and just a random KT88 in a GL box.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
G.E.C. for sure. What does 'Gold Lion' mean other than marketing?

These actually are GEC. But they are not Gold Lion. The Gold Lion are selected with tight tolerances. I would not buy Gold Lion tubes though, they are way overpriced, that's why a lot of tubes are sold as GL without them being it, using old packages or faked ones.

Last edited:
Looks like a GEC to me.

Picking up a relic on ebay is frought with issues and 'naf-good' esp if the screen has been damaged.....

However, agree...It is a Glion... I've several of that vintage before manufacture all sadly ended in the UK. see pics

The yellow 'colourful' box version with the proforma test criteria was the arrival after the Chinese got the manufacturing 'right' to GEC standards.Ignore the curvature of the valve, the camera does this.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    940.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    862.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    750 KB · Views: 110
Yes, original Gold Lion branded valves were manufactured by G.E.C or M.O.V. Any 'Gold Lion' that are sold nowadays should be considered as counterfeit, i.e. cheap, yet overpriced Chinese firecrackers.
Best regards!

Have you ever heard one or used one of the current production tubes? You might be quite surprised.

BTW, they are made in Russia at the Xpo-Pul plant in Saratov. They are not Chinese. A tube made in China that says "Gold Lion" is indeed a counterfeit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.