• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY kits for tube amp max 10 watts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

i've been mulling over building a tube setup, hopefully not one that takes up a ton of space, i have limited desk space to work with.

Saw the Hiraga kits but not sure if there's something more recent that is more exciting to build.

I saw in a youtube video a 5 watt Yaqin chinese tube amp that looked awesome but i couldn't find anything about it on google....

Any ideas would be great, thanks in advance.

Have a look for the Mullard 5-10 classic. Perhaps you may find kits. All tubes and the iron are still in production.
You should strap the EF86 input pentode for triode operation, though, as the original's high sensitivity isn't needed with nowadays' sources any more.
Best regards!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If your budget can stretch that far I suggest that you buy a good used Dynaco SCA35. They are good-looking amplifiers that doesn’t take much room on the desk.

If it hadn’t been refreshed recently you will be pleased with Dave Gillespie’s replacement PCB that replaces the scarce 7199 tube with a 6GH7 and add a a new power supply with “Enhanced Fixed Bias”. Rebuilt this way the SCA35 will good for another 40-50 years.

See: Daves Store: Dynaco SCA-35 ST-35 EFB Upgrades and Restoration

Probably you need to look at amps on tube 6Ф3П (ECL82). The 5 watt stereo amplifier consists of only two tubes.

In the photo the module of one channel.

AV3-F-2.jpg

Last edited:
If 5 watts mean 2.5 + 2.5 watts, you're probably right.
Best regards!

No, 4.5+4.5 in pentode mode and 1.5+1.5 in triode mode. In ultralinear tried, didn't have the right transformer.

PS. I looked at my notes. You are right, in the layout of the tube was another 6Ф5П.
PPS. On 6Ф3П output power was 3.5+3.5.
The power was enough to sound the room 82 m2. But of course for nightclub this amp unusable.

image.jpg

l-288-2n.jpg

Last edited:
4.5 watts in SE from a pentode with a plate dissipation rating of 7 watts? Impossible!
Best regards!

No, factory requirements limit the power in plate of 9 watts for 6Ф5П and 8 watts for 6Ф3П

Moreover, in the two tubes is obtained 6Ф5П PP amplifier 15 watts (8 ohms) . I didn't believe it either, until I made this amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.