Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Tube amp build suggestion for my current system
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Odonata is offline Odonata  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube amp build suggestion for my current system

My current stereo consists of a Pass Labs HPA-1 preamp, a First Watt SIT-3 amp & a pair of Omega Super Alnico High Output monitors (97db 4~6 ohm). While my Roon library has a wide variety of music, jazz & blues are the predominant genres that get played at home. Because I live in a small one-bedroom apartment, high volumes & deep bass coming out of my speakers would make me the neighbor that everyone hates so I avoid both (that's what the Audeze headphones are for). When I built my audio rack in my friend's barn, I left enough room so I could expand the system by adding a couple of tube monoblocks (a stereo amp would be considered as well). I have looked at a lot of nice kits that would be a challenge to build. But since half the fun of stereo equipment is exploring all the myriad options in exhausting detail, I thought I would ask if anyone had a suggestion that might pair well with my current setup for the more demanding option of building from a schematic.

Now that my kids have headed off to college, I find myself at a point where demanding projects that are involved, force me to learn new things and take a long time to complete are a great way for me to spend my time. I'm currently building a small wooden sailboat and I have an old motorcycle queued up waiting to be restored. To prepare myself for this project, I'm reading through Morgan Jones' Valve Amplifiers and Building Valve Amplifiers calculating each of the examples and making my own condensed cheat sheet of the most important points. I'm also reading a lot of information online but that can sometimes be more confusing than enlightening because I still have a lot to learn. Sometimes a particular amp sounds like it would be great but additional research indicates it might not be the best match for my speakers. Nuances like that are not always obvious.

My current criteria is that sound quality is more important than low cost. Complexity is not a deterrent if the quality of the build detail improves the chance for success. I am not set on a particular tube or architecture.

To give an example, as I've surfed around looking at different designs, I came across this one: KT88-based Push-Pull Amplifier

The thing that is attractive about this post is the combination of the schematic with a lot of information that provides additional details about the amp. The pictures of the build along with the layout of the components is a definite plus. But for someone like me who is new to this process, obvious questions like "Are there caveats to switch a design from 220V to 120V or is this fairly trivial?" or "Is this design bound tightly to specific components like the Tango transformers or are there suitable alternatives?" are some of the questions that immediately come to mind. Having a design that can be built "as is" without me having to make any major adjustments would probably be a good idea.

So anyway, I thought I would post details about my specific situation to see if anyone had some suggestions that will help me focus my research on a few good contenders as I move forward. If I ultimately decide to be prudent and go with a kit for my first build, then I'll use these suggestions as options for a later build when I become more proficient. It will still be nice to study the suggested designs for future consideration.
Old 19th April 2019, 04:10 PM   #2
huggygood is offline huggygood  France
diyAudio Member

with this speakers,I will go on a SE without hesitation.
Old 19th April 2019, 04:34 PM   #3
soulmerchant is offline soulmerchant  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Is this going to be your first build? Did any electronics work before? Read the stickies on safety around valves/tubes.

I always think a simple pre-amp is a good first build (if you are more ambitious than just building a kit). Something with nice sound and almost no gain would be fine, and it could replace the passlabs preamp...

Then later, build something fro your high efficiency speakers - a low powered end stage.

For fun, if money is not a big deal, why not start playing around with the 26 tube? Sure, many would suggest 6SN7 or something like that, but heck, ST 26's are still possible to find for a not-so-crazy price.

DC heaters are really possible to do with a couple of Rod Coleman's boards, and you can try you hand and building a couple of Gyrators. You're in the US, so you can also get pretty decent power transformers from AnTek at great prices too...

Use a good quality stepped volume potentiometer. Don't skimp on that part.

Ian

Last edited by soulmerchant; 19th April 2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 19th April 2019, 04:37 PM   #4
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you're looking for a kit, or at least a well-documented build for which assistance would be available. How about the Tubelab SSE (Simple Single-Ended) Amp?

Tubelab SSE | Tubelab

You can buy the PCB, and I'm sure you could get assistance from members on the Tubelab section of this forum (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubelab/).

Since your speakers are so sensitive (97dB/1W), and assuming you don't have a giant listening room, a single-ended amp making 4 to 8 watts per channel should be sufficient for your listening. I'm also assuming your speakers have an easy to drive impedance curve. But even if they don't, you could configure the SSE with negative feedback to lower the output impedance of the amp, and use a bigger output tube like a KT88. There's even a chart showing suggested output tubes and operating conditions for the design, at Tubes and Applications | Tubelab.

--
Old 19th April 2019, 04:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggygood View Post
with this speakers,I will go on a SE without hesitation.

Sure, that can work too. Nice little 2a3 or 45 amp project perhaps?

But I would still want to pull the passlabs preamp out of the chain.
Old 19th April 2019, 04:40 PM   #6
ColinA123 is offline ColinA123  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Have to say, if you are comparing it with a factory built Sit3
it needs to be a very good quality kit!
Old 19th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Colin

Fully agree. That is why I would suggest first trying a pre-amp to replace the HPA-1.
Old 19th April 2019, 04:52 PM   #8
Tjj226 is offline Tjj226
diyAudio Member

I would go with a 300b single ended amp. A little bit of extra power into a 4 ohm load is not a bad idea.

If you can afford them, EML has a high power 45 tube that could be very interesting in this application.
Old 19th April 2019, 05:56 PM   #9
mashaffer is offline mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Kegger (RIP) SE KT88 is my suggestion. More than enough power for your speakers and very musical IMO.
Old 19th April 2019, 06:06 PM   #10
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'd start with a dynaco ST-35, available both used and new as kit.

Tube amp build suggestion for my current systemHide this!Advertise here!