• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OPT impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !

If i have a opt like in the photo, that i inject 5.3 v in the 8 ohm output, and i have the voltages shown in the pic, what can i know more about this opt? is it possible to know the impedance with this data ? sorry but my mathematics are very low level.

thanks

Attachments

• 20190416_165828.jpg
    20190416_165828.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 233
You have a Push-Pull Transformer with Ultra Linear Taps. The turns ratio between the full primary and the secondary is (2*58v)/5.3v=21.89The primary impedance plate-to-plate is calculated from the square of the turns-ratio which is 479 21.89*21.89*8=3833ohms or approx. 3.8 kohm plate-to-plate when you use 8 ohm speakers on the secondary. The taps on the primary are to connect to the screens in case of UL operation with pentode outputs.

Last edited:
Use the 58V from the variac, and read the open circuit voltage at the 8 Ohm tap (Vopen). Then load the 8 Ohm secondary with an 8 Ohm resistor and find the closed circuit voltage (VLoaded).

Now, the loss of the transformer is:
20 x Log(VLoaded/Vopen) dB.

If you get 5.3 Vopen, and 4.7 VLoaded, that is -1dB (loss) if yu get 5.3 Vopen, and 5.0 VLoaded, that is 0.5dB (loss)

Last edited:
Use the 58V from the variac, and read the open circuit voltage at the 8 Ohm tap (Vopen). Then load the 8 Ohm secondary with an 8 Ohm resistor and find the closed circuit voltage (VLoaded).

Now, the loss of the transformer is:
20 x Log(VLoaded/Vopen) dB.

If you get 5.3 Vopen, and 4.7 VLoaded, that is -1dB (loss) if yu get 5.3 Vopen, and 5.0 VLoaded, that is 0.5dB (loss)

Thank you very much ,i will do that, because i would like to know everything possible about this OPTs, because i would like to use them in a amp project, and i know they are very good quality. i know they are c core and were made by Partridge and have 5 Kilos each (very heavy).

Sorento,

Good.
There are Pentode output tubes in UL . . .
And don't forget Beam Power output tubes in UL mode.

Hmmm, now you have got me thinking, has anyone used a true tetrode tube in UL?
I have at least one 4-65 tetrode, but I bet it won't do good in UL because the max screen voltage is only 600V, but the max plate voltage is 3000V.
Maybe with series resistor and capacitor coupling to the screen from the UL tap, and a screen resistor to 600V to activate the screen?

Has anybody out there done transmitting tetrodes in UL mode?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.