Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

active v.s. passive phono
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2019, 05:40 AM   #31
soulmerchant is offline soulmerchant  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

MC requires three major things - correct loading, (much) more gain and (very) good shielding from RF interference.

MM is in some ways much easier: the loading is pretty much fixed, requires less gain than MC (which is also pretty much fixed), and (usually) less attention to shielding.

However MM requires much more care to be taken with regard to input capacitance - this includes valve/tube miller capacitance, valve/tube socket capacitance, connector capacitance and all cable capacitances.

When it comes to noise floor, MC should beat MM pretty much all the time. I only ever attempted noise floor measurements on MM carts (that spreadsheet from Sy is very useful). However due to all the finicky implementation, I prefer MM over MC these days. Just make sure input miller capacitance is low enough and be careful with the connections, etc. for them. They tend to be much cheaper than MC too.

I sold pretty much all the MC carts I had a couple of years ago and have not looked back.

Last edited by soulmerchant; 18th April 2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 18th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #32
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Affordable triode connected sweep tube amps.
diyAudio Member

MC is beyond the point of diminishing returns IMHO.
I use a Pickering 625 cart with a line contact stylus and it rivals the Ortofon 2M gold for less than 1/2 the cost.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:31 AM   #33
Aladding is offline Aladding  China
diyAudio Member

Modern MM catridges have obviously improved performance, such as frequency response comparable to MC at much lower price, thanks for advancements of magnet technologies.

But MC catridges can still offer better dynamics and THD, if the signal can be processed in DC mode amplifier. That means that the phono amp will be configured to work in DC mode, with MC catridge directly coupled to the phono amp and the phono amp processing the signal as a DC amp, eliminating any and all AC coupling elements on the signal path, such as step-up transformer, coupling capacitor or output transformer.

Then it will sound, in some cases, like a DSD player. Don't know it's a good or bad omen.
Old 20th April 2019, 04:55 PM   #34
Guerilla is online now Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

This noob always read that MC had higher price an distotion against itself compared to MM

active v.s. passive phonoHide this!Advertise here!