• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Siemens Klangmeister RD30 50Hz hum on channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I've got a Siemens klangmeister picked up for a few bucks on a flee market that's humming on one channel (50Hz measured with oscilloscope, about .8V peak to peak). It doesn't change with volume control, is the same with tuner or external input and increases with the "hi-fi" control activated. It had a bad output tube so one has been replaced (I tried swapping tubes but it stays on the same channel) it's also there without the output tubes but not as loud. I checked values of all resistors and their resistance to ground and I found no differences between both channels. There is no hum when I first turn the amp on and comes up gradually after a few seconds.

Here's a schematic of the amplifier stage :
View attachment RD 30 Klangmeister II 2.pdf

Could use some help, thank you :)

What do you mean by "insulation faults" ? I forgot to say that other than the hum both channels work and sound pretty good.

According to the previous owner there were some weak spots in the soldering of the tube sockets so he decided to resolder himself but he made a mess of it and damaged the tube. I cleaned up the mess ad redid the soldering correctly.

I just noticed R45 (on the channel with hum) at the output transformer was missing and on the other channel instead of R46 were two 680ohm resistors in series (so not the 2k announced on the schematic. I replaced both with the correct value resistors but there is no change at all.

There were some bad connections at first but I did some solder work and tested continuity between sockets and components in circuit following the schematic and found nothing wrong. I tried putting a shield between the power transformer and the output transformer of the humming channel (they are already turned 90° but you never know), that didn't change anything. I did notice that the bias is higher on the channel that has hum (7.5v across R63 (220ohm) against 6.4V indicated in the schematic and also measured on the other channel (I replaced both R63 and R83 with 1% 1W resistors).
This is what I get :

-both output tubes in : right channel ok, left channel 50hz hum
-only right output tube in : right channel ok, left channel 50hz hum (less loud)
-only left output tube in : right channel very faint hum, left channel 50Hz hum
-no output tubes in : very faint hum on both channels

Just did that and hum moves to the other channel so there is something going on either with the output transformer or the feedback (probably why activating the "hi-fi" mode increases hum). Or maybe now that I thing about it it's actually the other way around, the output transformer is ok and the problem is still somewhere before...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.