• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Kuei Yang Wang Inspired Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This past weekend I got the phono stage up and running! It is definitely very particular about grounding and sounds best when Thorsten's grounding scheme is used. I am still getting some low level hum but only using a single RC filter on the PS for prototyping. All of that should disappear when the shunt reg is swapped in.

https://www.facebook.com/craigtoneaudio/posts/1116791248505730

Sounds promising through very good IEM’s.. I have the same phono preamp but with an anode load choke for the output stage and an all film caps PSU.

I did have local film caps but they didn't fit on my perfboard so I went electrolytic. I figured with the Salas shunt reg I would be OK. ;)

If you have good quality lytics in the decoupling sections, then I think it would be more than fine with shunt regs.. Oh, mine’s a two chassis affair too, with the final decoupling rc cells inside the main preamp box. It’s very quiet even with a purely passive B+..

Electrolytics are F&T. Here are some pics of the P2P phono board. Black wires on top are my grounds to keep the L&R separated until the appropriate stage star point.

So far my favorite tube combo is a white-tip Telefunken 12AX7 and a Raytheon JAN 7308.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 187
Looks great! Those F&T axials looks just right on the turret board.. I’m also looking at Panasonic UPW radial types for a future project, while it has better specs and cheaper, they won’t be as ergonomic and look as neatly laid out as the F&T’s..

I settled on Phillips Miniwatt ECC83 (forgot the internal structure) and Amperex ECC88 A-frames..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.