• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Replacing valves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, all U tube Gurus.
Was considering this schematic with alternative tubes/valves.
I´m no expert on capacitance, transconductance etc., so what changes are needed, if one were to change 6N3 with 6N16-B, and 6N2P-EV with 2 x 6S32B?
All inputs very much appreciated :)

Attachments

• Aikido-Phono-6N36N2(1).png
    Aikido-Phono-6N36N2(1).png
    76.7 KB · Views: 513
I drew this.
I'd drop the voltage to 300V for the subminiatures...
6N16-B change 240R to 470R.
6S32B should drop in, but I'd suggest 6N17B instead since it's a dual triode.

All other values should be "close enough for government work"...

Last edited:
Thanks kodabmx (weird name) :) :) :)
I´ll go play with these in the near future.
The reason I wanted to go with 6S32B is, that it´s heater current consumption is rather low (read almost nothing), mU-wise it drops right in for ECC83/6N2P, and it´s noise figure is perfect low. But if memory serves me right, I should have some 6N17....... or was it 6N28??? :)

6S32B | Tubes Information

Last edited:
The 6N17-B is double the heater current, but you need half as many since it's a double triode. It's a wash.

Koda
(the bmx comes from bmx bikes)

EDIT: Also, the 1k should also change to 470R judging by the datasheet, otherwise it won't be as linear.

Last edited:
(the bmx comes from bmx bikes)
Yeah... that one I got.
FYI, Koda in Denmark is one of the leaches.... A company that craves fees, when you play music in public, restaurants, bars etc. :)

Thanks for your great help. Is saved in the memory :)

Last edited:
Those are the basic voltages...

2W parts inside a non-ventilated chassis.
6N3 is less noisy than 6N2 so there's less compound noise.

3k3 and 100k are standard values, 3180R is not... Same reason for paralleling the 1000pF with the 0.033uF. These parts are all available in <3% tolerance... I buy a bunch and hand match them...
The curve deviates quickly when the parts values stray from nominal.

The 100k grid leaks are there in case you want to "Aikido" it ALA Broskie.

Because they appear to be trying to build the world's noisiest phono stage:usd:

Hardly... Use a UA741...

Even at 75c, the resistor noise is ~-117dBv... The lead-in grooves are around -60dBv...

I've been considering learning how to make a PCB and use SPICE... So far all of my builds have been point to point.

This phono stage is good enough that I'm going to build another one today. It's a VERY nice sounding circuit, for sure.

I'm going to make an OPAMP version of this circuit on circuit board when the parts arrive, too.

I drew this.
I'd drop the voltage to 300V for the subminiatures...
6N16-B change 240R to 470R.
6S32B should drop in, but I'd suggest 6N17B instead since it's a dual triode.

All other values should be "close enough for government work"...

It looked very familiar! Can you please provide the link to your orignal post? I was sure I'd bookmarked it but couldn't find it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.