• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New SET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Really new Guy Trying to Build.

Built my first ever amp, a SET KT88, followed Blueglow on YouTube,

Couple of questions, first one, KT88 internal glows less bright than the the other. Amp sounds amazing, had assembly issues crimped wire on PS Transformer to chassis, second actually had a short with broken chassis ground shorted on neutral thermistor lead, didn't see it until the end. Amp sounds wonderful, clean, clear and precise. Question one is is it acceptable for one of the KT88 to glow brighter than the other, second question is does a GZ34 have a little hum when at full power?

Thanks for the dumb questions.

Last edited:
Really new Guy Trying to Build.

Built my first ever amp, a SET KT88, followed Blueglow on YouTube,

Couple of questions, first one, KT88 internal glows less bright than the the other. Amp sounds amazing, had assembly issues crimped wire on PS Transformer to chassis, second actually had a short with broken chassis ground shorted on neutral thermistor lead, didn't see it until the end. Amp sounds wonderful, clean, clear and precise. Question one is is it acceptable for one of the KT88 to glow brighter than the other, second question is does a GZ34 have a little hum when at full power?

Thanks for the dumb questions.

No and no.

You miswired your heaters, and a gz34 shouldn't hum at all. Do you have a volt meter to check all the voltages?

Heaters are wired in Parallel, Amp sounds great. Here are some pics

Attachments

• 20190218_153745.jpg
    20190218_153745.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 608
  • 20190222_182923_resized.jpg
    20190222_182923_resized.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 608
... Couple of questions, first one, KT88 internal glows less bright than the the other. ... is is it acceptable for one of the KT88 to glow brighter than the other, second question is does a GZ34 have a little hum when at full power?

First 'test' is to swap the two KT88s round.
If the one that is brighter is still brighter in the other position and the dimmer one still dimmer in the other position that is probably down to the heater/cathode assembly inside the tubes. Ignore it.
But, if the brighter one becomes the dimmer one if you swap them round (and vice versa) you have extra resistance in the dimmer location's wiring. That could be marginal wire thickness or a poor solder joint etc.

The GZ34 itself should not hum? Can you explain? Do you hear a hum from the speakers 'at full power' or from the transformer perhaps?
By the way, it looks correctly wired in your picture. Do not reference the GZ34 heater winding ''to ground'', or you get a bang...

New Set

Swapped the tubes and the bright tube moved so that's a relief, heater wiring is 18 ga slilver plated stranded PTFE. I noticed the hum when I had it upside down on the bench, possibly the transformer, nothing through the speakers. Should I consider buying additional KT88's, Thanks for the info Alan, very much appreciated.

Great suggestion of rubber washers, I would never have thought a transformer would make any noise/vibration, this may be my common practice for the next build! I did replace the bell cover screws so I could have acorn nuts for better appearance, I love listening to music but have discovered building is as much or even more enjoyable. Really want to build a preamp next.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.