• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Alternatives to NOS tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm Carlos, I live in Brazil, I know little about electronics, but I like and I'm very interested in the subject, this is my introduction and my first post!

I'm tired of paying abusive prices and or being cheated when I buy valves supposedly in the NOS/NIB!

From the modern manufacturers, which are indicated for the most common tubes 12BH7 / 12AX7 / 12AU7 / 12AT7 ?

In my case, the purpose will be to use a preamplifier and a SET 300B

Please be patient with me, English is not my native language!

Last edited:
If you're designing your own stuff, NOS Soviet tubes are less money. Look at 6N1P, 6N2P, 6N3P etc.

6N3P is like the USA 5670 but far less money.

Personally I prefer the Soviet tubes to the NOS US/Euro ones.

Since you said you know little about electronics, just remember, tubes run at high voltages and can kill you if you're not careful.

As far as new tubes, most people like JJ and EH. Sovtek can be good. Chinese 6N4P is equivalent to 12AX7 supposedly.

Last edited:
I'm Carlos, I live in Brazil, I know little about electronics, but I like and I'm very interested in the subject, this is my introduction and my first post!

I'm tired of paying abusive prices and or being cheated when I buy valves supposedly in the NOS/NIB!

From the modern manufacturers, which are indicated for the most common tubes 12BH7 / 12AX7 / 12AU7 / 12AT7 ?

In my case, the purpose will be to use a preamplifier and a SET 300B

Please be patient with me, English is not my native language!
You can go with JJ, they have all of the above tubes ( and 300B )
But, i guess that you are limited by the representation of dealers in brazil.
If noone sells JJ you could contact them and start importing them yourself.

First of all, thanks for the answers!

@Kodabmx I appreciate your concern, but I just change the tubes and avoid other parts!I'
ll try to read about the Soviet tubes!

@Petertub, In Brasil, we have few alternatives, but I plan to buy from online stores or eBay!
ll try to read about the JJ tubes!

At the moment my interest is for ECC82 and 12BH7, please, do you use these JJ models?

First of all, thanks for the answers!

@Kodabmx I appreciate your concern, but I just change the tubes and avoid other parts!I'
ll try to read about the Soviet tubes!

@Petertub, In Brasil, we have few alternatives, but I plan to buy from online stores or eBay!
ll try to read about the JJ tubes!

At the moment my interest is for ECC82 and 12BH7, please, do you use these JJ models?
Yes, i use ECC82 ( there is also ECC802 which is a "long-plate" variant.
12BH7 i have in stock, but the sales are lower for them. Don't know why.
ECC99 is a jj-propetary tube specially developed for driver use, for instance
to drive 300B. The downside is that JJ is the only supplier. 12BH7 is

nearly as powerful and available from several sources. I sell more ECC99
then 12BH7.

As supplier, have a look at eurotubes.com

Eurotubes - Vacuum Tubes by JJ Electronic - ECC83, 12AX7, 6L6. 6L6GC, EL84, EL34, KT77, KT66, KT88 - Eurotubes Inc.
They are located in US, at least closer then europe. Buying from them

( or any other good vendor) will give warranty on the tubes if there is

any problems.

Once i visited brazil ( curitiba ) to work a few weeks, and i really liked the

country, and hope that sometime i can visit again.

You are going to get a lot of different opinions about tube choices. In my own designs I only use tubes that are in current production unless there is a compelling reason to use a tube that is no longer manufactured and therefore only available as NOS. Of course, you can also buy NOS tubes for types that are in current production but you're going to pay a premium price for those. Some will say the NOS tubes are "better" than current production but that's a debate I won't get into.

There are a number of U.S. based online retailers that offer both NOS and current production tubes. Here are a few that I buy from:

Welcome to TubeDepot.com!
www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for audio vacuum tubes.
Antique Electronic Supply

Good luck.

I agree with Ray. Since I repair tube amps, i don't get into the quagmire that is NOS. There are too many crooks, and so many NOS tubes are either rejects, so old they don't function properly, or are noisy that I avoid them. New tubes are just fine in most applications.
Also avoid eBay unless you are absolutely confident in the seller. Too many shisters.
The stores Ray mentioned are all very reputable. Although the Tubestore is Canadian not US based.

I agree with Ray. Since I repair tube amps, i don't get into the quagmire that is NOS. There are too many crooks, and so many NOS tubes are either rejects, so old they don't function properly, or are noisy that I avoid them. New tubes are just fine in most applications.
Also avoid eBay unless you are absolutely confident in the seller. Too many shisters.
The stores Ray mentioned are all very reputable. Although the Tubestore is Canadian not US based.
As this is export to brazil a canadian seller might be better. It all depends
on customs and tax rules in brazil, and also shipping rates. US seems to have

very expensive shipping. Even European sellers might be better since

one can avoid europe => US and then US => brazil.

@Kodabmx, I have dual pairs of ECC 82 and 12BH7A manufactured by Electro Harmonix, are very reliable, have played more than 1000 hs each, without presenting problems, but the sound does not transmit much "emotion" in the amplifier, it tends to hiss!
Before going out spending, I'm researching modern tubes with more "live" sound, like the old RCA!

@Peter, it's good to know that you know Brazil, I hope you treated him well during your visit!
As a 300B driver I use Shuguang WE-274B, it plays much better than the EH 5U4GB, I'm thinking of using a 12AU7A Psvane or JJ, I think I'll follow this path!
Peter, thank you for the link!
Brazil, is waiting for you for another visit!

As this is export to brazil a canadian seller might be better. It all depends
on customs and tax rules in brazil, and also shipping rates. US seems to have

very expensive shipping. Even European sellers might be better since

one can avoid europe => US and then US => brazil.

Shipping from Canada is expensive, also. :mad:

Pacific TV is another reputable Canadian supplier; I don't know if he ships to Brazil.
Not good for 'tube rollers' but for DIY building I find used tested tubes are also OK.

Ray, thanks for the links!
Audiopro, you're right, eBay is full of smart people today!
Petertube, here taxes are abusive, 65% on the value of the purchase + freight amount!
Victoriaguy, yes, sending Canada is very expensive!
Masshaffer I also can not complain about problems with EH, I just do not like the sound, I think it tends to hiss!

Currently I know the following active tube factories, this is my vision of each one of them
Electro Hrmonix – I have a 300B Gold Grid, it does not play with the old 300B sound, but it has a nice sound, but I do not like the sound of the 12BH7-12AU7-5U4GB
Shugang, I have a 300B-Z Black Treasure, it plays well, it sounds is warm, and a WE274B, my best rectifier!
Psvane - I have nothing from this manufacturer.
Western Eletric - Boutique
Northern Eletric - Rebranded
Sophia Electric - Rebranded
Audio Note - Rebranded
Gold Lion - I have nothing from this manufacturer.
KR audio -Boutique
Sovitech - I have nothing from this manufacturer.
Mullard - I have two of the 60's, but I have nothing from the current factory!
Elrog - Boutique
Tesla - I have nothing from this manufacturer.
TAD - Rebranded
JJ - I have nothing from this manufacturer.

Am I wrong about what I think about them?

Seems like lowest price is essential to reduce tax.
Then, mail to JJ and buy a lot ( 1000EUR ) , import and then sell within brazil to

recover your cost.
What you buy depends on the local market. JJ makes nice 300B ( i have heard), their
ECC-xx is generally nice and dependable, EL84 EL34 6550 are possible ones.
Importing a lot will reduce transportation cost per unit. The downside is that
you need to find channels to send the tubes within brazil and that you have to pay
a 1000 EURO in advance.

@mashaffer, maybe because my English is bad, I did not express myself correctly!
I wanted to say that my EH, have played more than 1000hs without presenting problems, but I think to 12AU7, it hisses a lot!
@Peter, your idea is very good, I'll research the possibilities!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.