• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with buzzing amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have seen this topic covered before, but have not found a solution yet. I have just completed an EL34 amp and while it sounds very nice, there is a very audible buzz at certain volume settings. with the volume at zero, the amp is dead quiet, then from about 1/3 to 2/3 volume a buzz can be heard which gets louder until about 2/3 volume, above that the amp goes dead quiet again.

some information:

- potentiometer is a 100K alps
- issue occurs whether the input source is turned on or not
- shorting the RCA has no effect
- if nothing is plugged into the RCA, the buzz is much louder, and does not get quieter as the volume is turned up
- my power supply is isolated from the signal path
- my signal wires are shielded
- my chassis and circuits are grounded at one point (ie no ground loop)

I would really appreciate some suggestions to help me solve this issue.

Thanks

Schem attavhed. Note I am supplying higher voltages, B+ is 425 and preamp is 340v. I am also not grounding with a 1 ohm resistor.

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    937.1 KB · Views: 93
I'm not a big fan of having the pot serve as the ground reference for your preamp/phase splitter tube.

What I might do is put a 250K resistor from the 1st grid to ground, then a .1uF cap between the wiper of the pot and the grid of the tube.

This may or may not be your issue, but it's something I might be inclined to try.

I'm not a big fan of having the pot serve as the ground reference for your preamp/phase splitter tube.

What I might do is put a 250K resistor from the 1st grid to ground, then a .1uF cap between the wiper of the pot and the grid of the tube.

This may or may not be your issue, but it's something I might be inclined to try.
Same thought here. When pot is in middle there will be an inbalance between the two tubes in the phaseinverter.

Not sure what the power supply looks like but I had a buzz in a pair of amps I built. It ended up being caused be too many HT rectifier diodes in series on the HT tap. The power trans has a CT secondary and the original print called for 3 1N4007 diodes in series on each leg of the HT tap. Through a ton of experiments with people here I changed to a single UF4007 on each leg and the buzz was gone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.