Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Rogers Cadet MkIII pre and power amp adventure
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2019, 05:31 PM   #21
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan4411 View Post
Hi crusher007,
Nice.
If you want to retain the value of the amplifier, see how much they make on ebay, please do not modify it. Keep it as original as possible. The packaging all adds to the value, so keep all that too.
snip...

Alan

I totally
agree ! The advice to change tubes was more of a "daily usage hint" but i totally forgot the value of saving the original amp.

I'm ashamed :-)
Old 18th February 2019, 05:40 PM   #22
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Eli!

Changing to PCL86s would certainly be a less radical modification, only requiring the addition of a suitably rated filament transformer.

On the other hand, a set of four NOS Mazda ECL86 valves would cost 120 + VAT from Watford Valves, which is actually small beer in valve circles!

Watford Valves :: Valves - ecl86
Old 18th February 2019, 06:54 PM   #23
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

120 is a sizeable sum. A quick check on EBone shows several attractive PCL86 listings. Multiple matched sets of PCL86s could be acquired for less money. Even if the Mazda NOS is more durable, the OP would (IMO) do better in the long run with PCL86s. The initial funding of a new filament trafo is taken care of and PCL86s are more likely to be available, over time. Stocking up now is also an option.
Old 18th February 2019, 07:36 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eli. I have no quibble with your argument for the substitution of the PCL86. It makes absolute sense when you take cost and long term security of supply into consideration.

Just to put the price of a NOS ECL86 into perspective, I submit the price of a NOS EL84, also from Watford Valves.

EL84-TUNGSRAM 1970
Old 18th February 2019, 07:57 PM   #25
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Thanks Eli. I have no quibble with your argument for the substitution of the PCL86. It makes absolute sense when you take cost and long term security of supply into consideration.

Just to put the price of a NOS ECL86 into perspective, I submit the price of a NOS EL84, also from Watford Valves.

EL84-TUNGSRAM 1970
At the same vendor a JJ EL84 cost 9.25. New production, warranty and matching available. And i do not think the sound is different ( as long as the tungsram is performing as it should )
The risk with NOS is that this is tubes that might have been left over or put back in the box for any number of reasons. It might be lemons, or to be positive, one does not know as there is no traceable documentation.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:30 PM   #26
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At the same vendor a JJ EL84 cost 9.25. New production, warranty and matching available.
While there are issues with JJ's Octal production, their EL84 is known to be quite satisfactory. For "better" sound in a current production tube, try New Sensor's "reissue" Gold Lion N709. Considering the $ difference, I'd buy JJ.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:42 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertub View Post
At the same vendor a JJ EL84 cost 9.25. New production, warranty and matching available.
I don't want to get into the merits and demerits of NOS valves.

However to be fair, the vendor offers excellent after sales service and matching of the Tungsram EL84s is not only available but is mandatory!

Quote:
"We have a very limited stock of these (Tungsram EL84) all of which have been tested and matched into pairs and quads We do not have singles of this item."
Old 18th February 2019, 08:48 PM   #28
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

But Shirley the ECL86 is a triode/pentode in one envelope, and the EL84 is a straight pentode. any substitution would involve extra sockets etc., so my integrated Cadet and Leak ST20 tell me. I rate the Rogers highly, but the bass is not as explicit as the Leak - boof rather than badaboom. Still a lovely thing.

Cheers Steve
Old 18th February 2019, 09:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieg View Post
But Shirley the ECL86 is a triode/pentode in one envelope, and the EL84 is a straight pentode. any substitution would involve extra sockets etc.
That's true Steve. Go back to post #5.

Also, I was only comparing the cost of a NOS ECL86 with that of a NOS EL84.
Old 18th February 2019, 09:10 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieg View Post
. . . so my integrated Cadet and Leak ST20 tell me.
Any information you can offer about your Cadet, Steve, would be most appreciated.

Valve experiences, component upgrades etc? Cheers!

Rogers Cadet MkIII pre and power amp adventureHide this!Advertise here!