Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6SN7 Mu follower or cathode follower?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2019, 11:06 PM   #81
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

Self-delusion is far more addictive than Single Ended Class-A-Holism!!!
Old 16th November 2019, 02:54 PM   #82
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Wow, we have a new Guru!

On another note- this thread lit a fire under me. Time to dig out a few clear-top 6FQ7's and build a mu follower. I need to build a crossover and baffle step compensation preamp anyway. Maybe I'll use a 6N1P or 6DJ8 as the top tube?

Last edited by Lingwendil; 16th November 2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 16th November 2019, 05:10 PM   #83
jhstewart9 is online now jhstewart9  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Search shews no threads started by N101N

Strange for a poster with no originality to display!
Or queries??Already knows all.
Old 16th November 2019, 07:32 PM   #84
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post

On another note- this thread lit a fire under me. Time to dig out a few clear-top 6FQ7's and build a mu follower. I need to build a crossover and baffle step compensation preamp anyway. Maybe I'll use a 6N1P or 6DJ8 as the top tube?
Use MOSFET - based Gyrator, like I do. Let Gurus hiss and spit.

Here is my Preamp+ PCB, with Gyrator load of the triode, CCS load of cathode follower, and relay shunting of outputs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6783.jpg (790.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 16th November 2019, 07:35 PM   #85
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Anatoliy Lisovskiy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstewart9 View Post
He reminds me one more personage, I would not say his name. Everything that he can not understand is bad.
Old 17th November 2019, 01:11 AM   #86
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstewart9 View Post
Default Search shews no threads started by N101N
This seems like a start of a Personal Attack.

Don't go there.

Also: thread start count may not be a valid metric. Some otherwise brilliant people can't find the New Thread button. Some don't feel a need to start a thread for every good thought, but weave them into existing threads.
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #87
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The mu follower is basically a common cathode amplifier
It is definitely not. It is a compound with new and fundamentally different properties and behavior.

Quote:
increased the dynamic load resistance perceived by the lower device, which as you are no doubt aware will greatly increase linearity and gain.
On the contrary, distortion will greatly increase, but it is not simply a matter of increased impedance, there is much more to it.

Quote:
I'm not even a huge user of the mu follower, but it's a great single ended (yes, this is not a blanced, or push-pull type of stage!) circuit
Did Morgan Jones say so? But no, the signal is balanced (not referred) to ground.

Quote:
There is no "balanced action, and the harmonic content is very similar to a common cathode that is loaded with an equivalently selected load to the reflected resistance shown by the cathode follower and load resistor.
The harmonic content is very dissimilar to a common cathode, only odd harmonics being produced as one of many negative consequences of the balanced state.

Morgan Jones' book has obviously not helped you towards a better understanding of the present topic, which proves to be too elusive to treat for that genre of authors.

Many amplifiers proudly announced to be single ended are actually out-and-out balanced. Most people have bad taste, poor ability to judge sound quality and perceive the single ended sonic character as a nuisance. A "clean" sound is more widely preferred, that is to say, when a small portion of the input signal is transferred. It is efficiently accomplished by designing amplifiers as a voltage regulator / oscillator consisting of various balanced stages and techniques imported from the industrial sphere.

I do use the push-pull topology, but I don`t call it single ended or low distortion.
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #88
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Everything that he can not understand is bad.
Tell us what you understand.

6SN7 Mu follower or cathode follower?Hide this!Advertise here!