Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6SN7 Mu follower or cathode follower?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2019, 11:08 AM   #91
Diabolical Artificer is offline Diabolical Artificer  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

"It is efficiently accomplished by designing amplifiers as a voltage regulator / oscillator consisting of various balanced stages and techniques imported from the industrial sphere" Eh! Sorry, you've lost me there.

The OP seems to have resolved his issue, think everyone's just arguing about semantics now.

Andy.
Old 19th November 2019, 04:51 PM   #92
Lingwendil is online now Lingwendil  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N101N View Post
It is definitely not. It is a compound with new and fundamentally different properties and behavior.

On the contrary, distortion will greatly increase, but it is not simply a matter of increased impedance, there is much more to it.

Did Morgan Jones say so? But no, the signal is balanced (not referred) to ground.

The harmonic content is very dissimilar to a common cathode, only odd harmonics being produced as one of many negative consequences of the balanced state.

Morgan Jones' book has obviously not helped you towards a better understanding of the present topic, which proves to be too elusive to treat for that genre of authors.

Many amplifiers proudly announced to be single ended are actually out-and-out balanced. Most people have bad taste, poor ability to judge sound quality and perceive the single ended sonic character as a nuisance. A "clean" sound is more widely preferred, that is to say, when a small portion of the input signal is transferred.
If you believe that the circuit is not single ended I would love to see your analysis on how/why. I'm genuinely interested in how this differs, because it does not appear to function that way. The difference in harmonic content is a feature of the topology, but is not due to balanced operation. Got any links or recommendations on reading material for me to check out? I'd love to admit I'm wrong if I find some research that proves to explain it differently.

Also I find it strange that you proclaim that many single ended amplifiers are in fact "balanced" in operation... Have any examples? I can't think of any reasonably popular/common SE designs that are balanced throughout other than occasional one-off projects from DIY builders.

Perhaps we aren't on the same page as to what "balanced" means?

Quote:
It is efficiently accomplished by designing amplifiers as a voltage regulator / oscillator consisting of various balanced stages and techniques imported from the industrial sphere.
I feel like this is ad-copy from somewhere.

Last edited by Lingwendil; 19th November 2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 21st November 2019, 04:17 PM   #93
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
If you believe that the circuit is not single ended I would love to see your analysis on how/why.
The mu-follower is basically a type of SRPP, so it is push pull under certain conditions. This happens when the load impedance is less than the mu of the upper triode times the resistance that spans the anode (lower) to cathode (upper). It's sort of an academic argument though since the PP current is usually puny compared with the quiescent current in most designs.

Last edited by Merlinb; 21st November 2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 24th November 2019, 03:57 PM   #94
rhythmsandy is offline rhythmsandy
diyAudio Member

Ok i got rid of the problem with Mufollower. I hear many say that CF is also good but it has gain of about 10. Im planning to go with the following config. Can anyone recommend me that is there anything in it to change?
Attached Images
File Type: png CF.PNG (26.8 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by rhythmsandy; 24th November 2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 24th November 2019, 06:27 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinb View Post
The mu-follower is basically a type of SRPP, so it is push pull under certain conditions. This happens when the load impedance is less than the mu of the upper triode times the resistance that spans the anode (lower) to cathode (upper). It's sort of an academic argument though since the PP current is usually puny compared with the quiescent current in most designs.
It sounded quite good though just thinking that will it give higher SNR than the CF?
Old 24th November 2019, 06:28 PM   #96
Lingwendil is online now Lingwendil  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe a couple grid stoppers, but otherwise it's simple and should work great. Lots of room for modifying later on.
Old 25th November 2019, 04:01 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
Maybe a couple grid stoppers, but otherwise it's simple and should work great. Lots of room for modifying later on.
It is said that there has to be capacitor between the first and the second stage.
Old 25th November 2019, 10:00 AM   #98
jhstewart9 is offline jhstewart9  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
It is said that there has to be capacitor between the first and the second stage.
Just hook it up, as is. It will work as shewn.
Old 25th November 2019, 10:52 AM   #99
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Add a protection diode between grid and cathode of the CF
Old 25th November 2019, 02:50 PM   #100
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The difference in harmonic content is a feature of the topology, but is not due to balanced operation. If you believe that the circuit is not single ended I would love to see your analysis on how/why. Got any links or recommendations on reading material for me to check out?
Balanced circuits, such as the mu stage, produce a more distorted, scattered and meager harmonic spectrum. To my knowledge, there is not any reading material providing a physical basis for my assertions, I had to do my own exploration. The analysis necessitates going beyond classical physics. I also made quite detailed notes, unfortunately, the document has become damaged. Is there any chance of restoring a corrupted rtf file? (I doupt it).

Quote:
It is efficiently accomplished by designing amplifiers as a voltage regulator / oscillator consisting of various balanced stages and techniques imported from the industrial sphere.
Incomprehensible meaningless ad-copy? Who would use negative words in advertising?

1) Instability is an inherent property of balanced topologies Instability conveys high distortion.
2) Circuit solutions inspired by industrial applications are harmful to the audio signal.

OK?

6SN7 Mu follower or cathode follower?Hide this!Advertise here!