• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Rolling Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Circuits were designed to work with any valve within spec, so no need for rolling. Most valves were well-made so met the spec.

Modern circuits and modern valves can be significantly inferior, so rolling became popular - especially among those who were not capable of anything else. Nowadays we even have cap rolling (for those who can solder) and cable rolling (for those who can't).

Many of the adverts for valves (tubes) from the time don't even mention brand name on offer. Price seemed to be more important. As said most British or American production was of high quality. Vast quantities of NOS military surplus on the market as well.
Re-boxers like Zarex seemed to cater for the more budged conscious.

When I was younger in the 50s, 60s and 70s a Mullard ECC83 was as good as it gets along with the Mullard EL34. No gain trying different makes as they were excellent.
Mazda valves were the Technics to Panasonic of the HiFi world.
GEC KT88s were the best for the Quad power amplifier. In those days we valued experienced valve builders and there was no Chinese almost equivalents.
Having said that, no valve is worth what entrepreneurs are selling them for on fleabay!

In those days the only reason to replace a valve was if it had failed. UK Equipment manufacturers tested to fit a single brand; no doubt because a commercial relationship existed.
When replacements were fitted, it was whatever brand was in stock. Where there was a choice of makes, I would always choose a Mullard from the shelf.

Without internet word got around pretty quickly. Almost much every town had a repair shop and people knew others in the same trade.
Anecdotes were no more or less reliable than now. Lots of brand x valves failing in the timebase output: better use Mullard.

Thinking about it, the markings on valve boxes (in the UK) were a bit strange. If UK produced - no mark. If imported, the box said "FOREIGN". Of course those valves could have come from a first class manufacturer, or equally a less reputable one, so I would avoid them where possible.

Valves were expensive, so you only stocked as many as you expected to need. The warranty was 3 months but if you'd had the valve in stock for a some time the BVA (British Valve Association) would reject the claim.

I'm old enough to remember my father testing TV tubes at the grocery store, my older sister blasting the Fisher console stereo when our parents were gone, as she played stacks of record LPs. Bought my first stereo system when I was stationed in Japan. It was the mid- 1970s and I don't remember the Audio Club on base selling any tube gear.

My first tube amp was a Decware amp that used 6BQ5 output tubes and was my only stereo amp in the late 1990s. I was going through an experimental phase, looking for one amplifier that met all my "needs," could reach rock concert levels in sound level, and sound good with any music genre. I learned that I personally couldn't find that amplifier. Maybe that's why I have 5 tube amps and 4 solid state amps/integrated amps?

Tube rolling for me began with being gifted about 1000 tubes, a tube tester and a Tektronix 575 Curve Tracer. I've learned about SET, UL and some of the circuit designs, solid state transistors, but still haven't HEARD a big difference between vacuum tubes.

Maybe the holy grail of output tubes are the 300Bs or the 2A3s? I've never heard either output tubes in person. Closest I've heard is an Audio Note amp with 211 tubes at a high fidelity cafe/bar near Little Tokyo in LA, but would never be able to justify a>$32k amplifier and stay married. I'm not sure that I would want to sell all my gear and one of my cars to buy one.

Thus my question regarding tube rolling when tubes were in their prime time in history. I doubt that I would be into rolling tubes if I wasn't gifted a bunch of tubes, but I am having fun trying to convince myself that there might be a holy grail audio tube amp out there that will give me an audio epiphany that is worthy.

Maybe it's like people who say that there aren't anymore good rock bands out there? I feel the opposite. There are MANY good bands out there. Over ten thousand hours of music videos per week are downloaded to YouTube. How do you filter what you like?

Enjoy the adventure!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.