• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6e6P, 6e5P or 6gK5 for preamp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6e6P, 6e5P ( Tetrode or triode ) or 6gK5 ( Triode ) for a high quality preamp ?

Ale Moglia say that all are gems !!

I have some doubts with the hours duration in conservative operation point..

I read that 6e5P is excellent have 500hs of life..

Santiago

Attachments

• 6GK5.gif
    6GK5.gif
    7 KB · Views: 879
  • Datasheets - 01.jpg
    Datasheets - 01.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
I use 6e5p triode wired as a driver in a couple of my PP amps. They have a lot more than 500 hours on them, but I can't say I've tested them recently. Still sound great. I've used 6GK5 as an RC couple driver for 2A3's in a PP amp but when I changed it to interstage transformers they couldn't drive them so then I change to 6e5p triode wired.
John

I thought, and so did several friends, that the 6GK5 sounded really nice. Very clear, open and natural. I used Russian K440 PIO coupling caps and grid chokes on the 2A3's. I was sorry to change the amp but I wanted to try the interstage transformers and the 6GK5's have a too high plate impedance to drive them in the low frequencies. I think the 6E5P's have great sound too. When I installed them into my main amp I think they were an improvement in sound quality over the 6N6's I used previously and more gain too.

I originally go the idea of using the 6GK5 from Poindexter's Musical Machine amp.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/149211-6v6-music-machine-build-help.html#post1904511

John

Last edited:
I bought a ton of those 6e5p tubes and use them triode wired as the driver tube in my Midlife Crisis 833 amps. They sound great and were super cheap, too. I bought a lot of them due to the 500 hour rating, but I'm still on the original pair years later, with no noticeable changes in operation.

Can't say about 6e6p, but I believe it is very similar to 6E5P. I don't think 6GK5 and 6E5P is a matter of one sounding better. They are very different tubes with different characteristics. I think they sound very similar but have different optimal uses. The 6GK5 has a much higher mu and plate impedance than 6E5P.

It depends on what load the tube will see. 5k isn't low enough to drive a typical interstage transformer and expect to get any bass. For an RC coupling to the output stage it would be fine as long as the output stage isn't driven hard toward the 0 volt grid line where grid current might be expected. The 6GK5 is specified at 5400 ohms plate resistance but that is also dependent on the chosen operating point. In my 6B4G amp, the 6GK5's worked very well with the CL coupling and sounded really good I thought.
John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.