• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

10 band EQ all tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everybody,

I have plan to build a 10 band EQ all tubes, here schematic of the idea, I need from someone more expert than me help and suggestion, thank you in advance...all the best

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 2.12.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 2.12.28 PM.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 668
Some people like to do things the hard way... :)

Hard work never killed a man ;)

Kissabout, do you happen to have an .asc file that you could post up?

Yes I have, I just change the pot value to 100k rather 10k and on the simulator looks like much better response, if you can add more better option much appreciate it.....all the best

Maybe a noise analysis would be in order.... Possibly a Balanced input output amplifier may help...

Thanks cerrem, that is what exactly I was thinking about, in fact I add to the original schematic of Practical Tone Control an output amplifier, but I do not know if is right how I did it, can you suggest something more specific?

The major flaw: tubes with 1 mA idle current in series resonance filters would distort like crazy. I would use some opamps with JFET inputs instead.

Thanks wavebourn, can you suggest a better tube? What about 6N2P-EV?..all the best

Good luck on your project. Sorry, i can only give you moral support.

no prob I appreciate your moral support.....all the best

Something like this , its ok.

Thank you, is very similar to the Practical Tone Control schematic but with a 100k pot.....all the best

Attachments

• EQ 10 channel.asc
    16.3 KB · Views: 60
Unexpected arrival of shipping from US during lockdown of remaining parts necessary to finish this all tube graphics EQ by Rickard Berglund suggested here by DEMETRIOS then again extended quarantine until May 15 so perfect for give a finish to this project.

Big task has been find a way to avoid to much cable connections, so I made this kind of "guitar string" for connect the all 10 modules, this workout very well avoiding bundles of wires and unwanted oscillations.

I just tested musically and sound and work very very well, no oscillation whatsoever and even the little hum on the wooden board test is gone, max vol on amp and no noise at all.

I still need nice knobs and somehow some print for the front panel.

I will test now the EQ with generator, scope and Rew for see the real performance.....all the best
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.47.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.47.25 AM.png
    768.1 KB · Views: 379
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.06 AM.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 385
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.46.44 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.46.44 AM.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 11.48.32 AM.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 193
Impressive build - one channel is missing a valve I think? How are the bargraph LEDs driven?

Thank you for your comment, there is 10 channel but one valve for the channel 1kHz is fixed on the bottom of the chassis close to the guitar string, there was absolutely no more space...:(
The bargraph is not connected to the audio source, I used a 3 gang 100K potentiometer, 2 gang for the 2 EQ channel and 1 gang for the display that is completely independent but perfectly tuned with the rotation of the potentiometer.....all the best

Thank you for your comment, there is 10 channel but one valve for the channel 1kHz is fixed on the bottom of the chassis close to the guitar string, there was absolutely no more space...:(
The bargraph is not connected to the audio source, I used a 3 gang 100K potentiometer, 2 gang for the 2 EQ channel and 1 gang for the display that is completely independent but perfectly tuned with the rotation of the potentiometer.....all the best

Nice construction !
What about the sound quality ?

Nice construction !
What about the sound quality ?

Hi Demetrios,

Sound quality is extremely good and exactly what I was expected, the equalisation is very smooth and gentle, 5/6 dB boost or cut, THD 0.090% measured, no noise or hum whatsoever, death silent.

But the journey has been not so easy, first I replace 12AX7 with 6N2P-EV more reliable and performing, then on prototype test realise how long wires also not shielded was a real problem and every small details on the build count then I complicate the all project with the add of the led bar graph, so all together takes more than one year to complete the project, actually you were the fist suggest this EQ :) and I am now very very happy.

Next project will be the "Blonder-Tongue Audio Baton", that is a different approach on EQ of the tube era with a more sharp response, so I keep myself busy.....all the best to you and keep yourself safe.....ciaooooo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.