• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Complete" list of sweep tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure about the availability of the valve types in the USA but here in the UK the few I found on the list are more expensive than your average audio OP valve. They aren't available in any quantities either. Is there a supplier in Europe that anyone knows of, or a US supplier that sells for a competitive price? If not once shipping and customs/post office fees are taken into account, doesn't look like TV horizontal sweep valves offer much of a saving.

The more common types like PL509's, 6DQ6 etc have rocketed in price here in the UK recently and are getting harder to find at a good price.

Andy.

In the US, the sweep tubes that saw application in radio transmitters and linear amps (ham and CB, some commercial) can be crazy expensive everywhere. Usually you have to go to the odd heater voltages to get reasonable prices. 6LQ6 and it's relatives is a good example - $40 to $80 each. Even 31LQ6 is ~$20.

I don't know much about the European types. They may all be rare.

Pete

Usually you have to go to the odd heater voltages to get reasonable prices. 6LQ6 and it's relatives is a good example

Some of those RF amplifiers used odd heater voltage sweep tubes too, especially the large illegal CB amps. The "Phantom 500" went through several iterations but the later versions ditched the filament transformer and wired 10 X 24LQ6's in series parallel directly across the 120 volt line.

Whoever designed that thing had no clue about RF impedance matching. It used 4 tubes in parallel to drive 6 tubes in parallel. One tube driving 9 would have made far more power. Squeezing 500 watts of RF from 6 tubes made for short tube life....that's why there are no 24LQ6's left in captivity.

Now if I were to make such a thing, it would use a 12BY7 to drive a 6146, which would drive a 4-400 for lots o watts.

Even GE got a piece of that action. They took the 6KD6, added a second cathode connection to pin 6 for better RF performance, and stuck a 13 volt heater inside for "mobile radio" use, and the 8950 was born. Try to find one of those today.

Similarly the "M2057" is an RF version, also with the 13 volt heater, of the 6LF6, one of the biggest sweep tubes around.

Attachments

• 8950.pdf
    210 KB · Views: 131
  • M2057.pdf
    381.5 KB · Views: 128
I don't know much about the European types. They may all be rare.
So they are, 'cause they're out of production since decades now.
OTOH, a PL519 e.g. never was a cheap valve, especially when made by famous companies, such as ITT Lorenz, Telefunken, Siemens or Valvo. In the 1970ies, when they were widely available from new production, we had to pay about 20 Deutsche Mark per piece, which was about the same as USD 5 to 10 then.
Best regards!

Regarding the lists right at the thread start: PL505 had a 40V/0.3A series heater. It was the first European sweep tube especially designed for colour TV's. But TV's with this tube had a 2nd sweep tube, commonly a PL504 which did the sweep. The PL505 operated as HV source. But there were designs with two sweep tubes and one flyback transformer as well.
I'm not sure if there was a 6.3V/2A heated »EL505«.
Best regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.