• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Got an 11N7 Data Sheet ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Does anybody happen to have Visseaux or Telefunken data with curves for the 11N7?
Searches make them look similar to 6N7 though some online references differ. It would be nice to see a real manufacturer's data-sheet instead of short data from tube tester manuals or the Vade Mecum.

Thanks

Joined 2008
Paid Member
If you look around the Radio Museum website you'll notice that they have links for members to data sheets. There is no link for an 11N7 data sheet.

As I posted, I am aware of the link between the 11N7 and the 6N7 but there are differing details out there and I'd simply like to see a data sheet from the people who actually produced the tube.

They have an American number and the Vade Mecum lists them as an American tube but they are not mentioned in any of the American manufacturers' manuals that I have looked at so far nor are they in any of the European manuals I've seen so far.

The pinout diagram posted in the RadioMuseum page mentions Telefunken but I've seen that same diagram used in other places so it's not even certain it came from Telefunken.

I have a Visseaux 11N7 sitting on the bench in front of me so, so far, Visseaux is the only company that there's proof made them.

Online searches don't turn up any Visseaux manuals, which is why I posted at night, hoping that somebody in the EU might see it.

Thanks

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
RadioMuseum's page for 11N7 lists the models known to use the tube. It appears to be only two French army tank radios with an odd collection of 11V tubes. (807C11?? Seems to be 807 with 11V heater.)

My *guess* is that some French tank had nominal 11V power (saggy or regulated "12.6V" battery) and a call went out to supply the usual tubes with 11V heater. This would not require much/any change in the rest of the tube, only a longer skinnier heater filament.

There's always the uncertainty of any "6N7" type: it is an old odd tube with few applications and may not have been well standardized.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks for taking the time PRR,

Of the few sources I found, all were short data, none were from the horse's mouth, and have small disagreements.

Having seen a number of older European datasheets that include text I can learn from about the intended use and recommendations etc (like, for example the one for the Philips ECC40) I was hoping somebody in the EU might have a dedicated page or more from a Visseaux manual. My guess was probably in France or also Italy (as Italy seems to have a large number of French tubes).

Tested using 6N7 maximums the few I have seem to have well enough matched sections as to be worth trying in a differential circuit, likely as input or driver.

My guess is that some French tank had nominal 11V power (saggy or regulated "12.6V" battery) and a call went out to supply the usual tubes with 11V heater. This would not require much/any change in the rest of the tube, only a longer skinnier heater filament.

Just saying, but wouldn't it require a lower at-heat resistance overall to run at 11 VDC? Longer plus thinner equals higher at-heat resistance by both the long bit and the thinner bit. Probably want to go the other direction. Shorter, thicker; shorter by itself could get 'er done, but if the nominal heater was a particular wattage, its better too to have thicker and a bit longer.

Just saying,
GoatGuy

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Note that 6N7 and kin are the old type '53 on new bases. In fact the typical example on RCA's 6N7 sheet says '53.
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/021/6/6N7.pdf

The spiffy thing about the '53: you can get 10 Watts from a single bottle, and with low idle current. The downside is that you need Real Power to slam the grids into that power zone. The sheet has you working *another* '53 as a driver. Which seems un-thrifty: driver as big as the power stage. Maybe they were very cheap. And there was not so much selection then as later.

The resistance-coupled data are just OK, nothing special. It's really just not a good conductor until you slam the grids positive. Which is normally a high distortion mode.

Goat: you want the total amount of tungsten to stay the same. Not just for fit: a fat filament has a lower surface temperature. Find a 12V 12W car stop-light and a 12W 120V night-light. High-volt filaments are skinny.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
On the sheet for the 46 or 49 you get the same thing, wired one way it's the output tube wired the other it's the driver. The way they put it "This tube has been constructed for this dual service in order to reduce the number of tube types necessary in a receiver."

You don't think the 'N7 would be good as a differential input/ VA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.