• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Impedance matching preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,
I've read a lot about impedance matching between preamp-amp, about ratio, then how to calculate impedance through winding ratio etc. but I didn't understood what happens with primary (or secondary) impedance of preamp audio transformer if we have input impedance of tube amplifier let's say 470k Ohm's.

Main question: how much is the secondary impedance of preamp transformer? How to determine that?

If the winding ratio is 10, is then impedance of primary is (10)^2*470k (secondary impedance is 470k? it must be small not 470k)? And if we connect preamp output to some other Amp, that huge impedance will be different? Do I maybe need some resistor at the secondary to reduce that impedance?

I saw that practice is to match Plate resistance of tube and primary, and what happens then with matching if reflected primary impedance is too big?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...what happens then with matching if reflected primary impedance is too big?

Distortion goes down.

We would never "match" 470K with an audio transformer. As secondary reflected impedance goes up, bandwidth goes down. Simple techniques can get >15KHz at 3K or maybe 10K. Few specialized low-level transformers really levered-up over 50K at secondary.

The transformer is just "free voltage gain". Don't get greedy.

2019-01-06 14-06-26.jpg . 2019-01-06 15-12-08.jpg
Yup... 872mV.

The buffer is to spilt the input for outputs in parallel (computer, headphone amp, minidisc, cassette, EQ loop) and the gain stage is to drive my amps (about 6V for full power)

The gain stage is 300R. The buffer is about the same.

Relay volume control, DAC, Bluetooth etc all built in.

Last edited:
I don't have the guts to shove that much into a small chassis...

I built a 6L6 PP amp into a pretty small rackmount chassis thinking that "oh, it's a 2u. That should compensate for not being very deep". Never again. I'm still trying to herd my courage back together to take another crack at that thing.

That's about twice as dense... how did you get the noise floor down to a reasonable level?

There's no need for a transformer, take it out and make a direct connection. If your preamp cannot handle 470k, it's grossly defective.
Thank you all for help! I would like one more advice. I need gain of 2-3 times, is it the best way to do it with 2 parallel cathode followers or there is some better way?

I think that I'll try preamp with output transformers just to learn something and see what I can get. I have some idea, can I use resistors to adjust (lower) impedance if it is too big? See this: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/as010.pdf

A cathode follower has no gain. Paralleling them or cascading them will not add gain.

You need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and forget about transformers. There is no need for impedance matching in audio, in fact impedance mismatching is the requirement. Transformers are only used for two purposes:
1. when you really really need what only a transformer can do, and are therefore prepared to tolerate the significant downside of a transformer
2. when you want to be part of a fashion crowd and don't know or don't care what damage a transformer will do to your music signal

Design which includes, high step-down ratio transformer at the end. Should be reconsidered... For preamplifier, OR any smaller signal device, this means that before step down transformer we have amplification active circuit. With total Gain of stepdwn ratio + neded gain. That is no-need amplification, introducing distortion, larger values of Rload at the anode path, lower plate voltages, using Higher mju valves with higher internal resistance... etc etc.
I think that is not good aproach at all. Except when we just cant avoid - output step down transformer to link the tube and speaker...
I would think of conception with 1:1 transformer, input or output, and lower gain tubes. With buffer at the output IF needed. Because in that way You can correct the phase shift of 180deg from amplifinig stage, no squared transfer of any reactive component from P to S and opposite, just factor 1, and for my opp. maybe more important NO overamplification in the stage giving the specific sound signature.
That is just my perception on this topic. cheers. :)

Thank you all for help! I would like one more advice. I need gain of 2–3 times, is it the best way to do it with 2 parallel cathode followers or there is some better way?

I think that I'll try preamp with output transformers just to learn something and see what I can get. I have some idea, can I use resistors to adjust (lower) impedance if it is too big?

№ 1: How do you know you need 2× to 3× gain?
№ 2: Which source is too weak, and needs pre-amplification?
№ 3: Is it the only source which is weak?
№ 4: Are any sources "plenty loud"?
If (№ 2 or 3) are at their maximum and your amplifier isn't able to produce its full potential, well … then yes you need an amplifier. The answer to (№ 1) tho' is very important: how do you know? Oscilloscope? Or relatively crâhppy digital volt meter? (Don't worry, they're all "pretty crâhppy" at measuring millivolts of audio signal!!!)

It may be that you need 5× or 7×, for your weakest sources. Could be! In any case, if it is quantitatively measured and survives the sniff-test, well … then a preamp you need.

Ultimately, most people then have other decisions to make: is the preamp to replace the input switching capability of the system's amplifier? Or is it just to strengthen one weak source? Is the preamp desired to “color” the signal in a “tube-character” way? Or be absolutely neutral? Is the preamp to be visual statement and a talking point … or something invisible that quietly does its job?

Because then you are well armed. Transformers as DF96 says, are very rarely the solution. I will give them this: they sure are easy to implement.

For example, a pair of Hammond 1140-LN-C 4 to 1 ratio, or Jensen transformers, in a small aluminum box with RCA connectors for input and output. No volume control … just transformers-in-a-box. Never mind impedance-matching. It'll still set you back $250 or so. But can be built "in an evening". Nice little thing to build, as a proof-of-concept. And a valuable tool in your "bag of tricks"!

Just saying,
GoatGuy

Last edited:
KodaBMX... hopefully you'll get a laugh...

Haha!

1: A trimmer would have worked but I didn't have one.
2: It's mounted on a stand-off and switches out a 250R resistor from the power supply (otherwise the SMPS has to re-fire). The blue board above it is a latching relay circuit for switching COAX or Optical on the DAC. The orange board is a time delay driving the black relay. The power supply board for the DAC is under them.
3: That's the Bluetooth board.
4: Relay volume control.
5: It's the first main point for 280V B+.
6: It's the main point for 12V
7: Relay inputs, there are 4 balanced (that I use single ended, but switch grounds) and a 6 unbalanced board underneath it.
8: Of course! It's de-rated to 25% since it's in a metal box with no ventilation.

Since I took the photo, I've added an effects/tape loop handled by an octal relay. I had to raise the VU meter driver board and put the socket under it. Thankfully, there are no more additions planned. I ran out of 1" stand-offs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.